How to Add a document into existing document

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

JDVequipment1+

How to Add a document into existing document

Unread post by JDVequipment1+ »

I am very new to Help & Manual and I am in need of assistance.
Our company already has a document created using Help & Manual for all our company procedures.
I have a document that I need to add into this already existing manual, and I have read the Help Manual, tried to find a YouTube video to watch
and I am still having problems understanding the concept.

I go to Create New Project > Create New Empty Project > Enter the Title of the document that I want to add - and this is where I am getting lost.
I have done a copy & paste of the document that I need to upload, but I am not sure where to paste it and how to add it into the TOC under the heading for procedures.

I reached out to someone in the office and I was told to Create New Project > Create New Empty Project > enter the title of the doc and save to my desktop. Still, no idea how to upload into the TOC of the existing document under the TOC.

I know I am missing a step somewhere along the line. I need help, please :(
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How to Add a document into existing document

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi "JDV" (how about a name? :) ),

The only problem here is that you're not yet clear on the difference between a project and a document. A project is the entire documentation system, and every topic in the project is a separate document. These documents are all managed within the project as if they were a single document -- so you can search and replace through all of them in the same way as within a single Word file, for example.

So if you want to add a document (i.e. a topic) to your existing project you don't want to create a new project. Instead, you just open your existing project and create a new topic, using the Add Topic option in the Project tab. Then you would copy and paste your new material into that topic.

That is the easiest way. There are also ways to import text, HTML and Word RTF files directly, instead of copying. For example, once you have an empty topic you can select File > Load Topic from File in the Project tab and load HTML, RTF, TXT and some other file types into the topic.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
JDVequipment1+

Thanks, Tim for explaining this to me, it makes more sense now. I really appreciate the help.

Sorry, I forgot to put my name.

Thank You !!
Jo-Ann
JDVequipment1+

Hi Tim,

It is Jo-Ann again.

I was able to add the documents to the existing project.

I attached what the project Table of Contents looks like. My documents are in there but I need to create a folder that these documents go into.
Can you tell me how I would create this folder so I can drag & drop my documents into it?

Thanks
Jo-Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jo-Ann,
Can you tell me how I would create this folder so I can drag & drop my documents into it?
A folder, or chapter topic is simply a regular topic that has sub-topics. To create a new chapter that you want to contain existing topics, first just create a regular topic with the name you want that chapter to have. Then drag the topics that you want to put into that chapter ONTO the new chapter topic. When it is positioned correctly the topic will light up as selected. Then let go and the topic will now be a sub-topic of that new chapter. Note that if you see a blue line between topics that means that it will be inserted between those topics, where the blue line is showing. That's not what you want here -- you want to be sure that you are dropping it ONTO the chapter topic.

In addition to this you can also use the blue arrow tools in the Manage Topics section in the Project tab. The up and down arrows move topics up and down in the TOC. The left and right arrows change the selected topic's rank. For example, if you select a topic and hit the right arrow, it will make it a sub-topic of the topic directly above it (moving its rank DOWN). If you hit the left arrow it will move its rank UP. For example, hitting the left arrow on a topic inside a chapter will move it out of that chapter, giving it the same rank as its previous parent chapter topic.

See this topic in the help for details on this:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... omdem.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
JDVequipment1+

Tim,
Thanks for the quick response I was able to add the chapter!!
I see I have a lot more reading to do in order to use this program. So far, I am liking the program and with your quick responses to my questions,
you have made my new experience with Help & Manual and with this forum great.

You are very much appreciated!

Have a great weekend

Jo-Ann