[Error] Error while parsing tag "topic".

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Dressel

[Error] Error while parsing tag "topic".

Unread post by Ed Dressel »

I can the subject line error in my log files when compiling a help project. I checked your help file looking for what a tag was and I didn't see anything.

What might be causing this error?

Thank you,

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: [Error] Error while parsing tag "topic".

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

This is a rare, annoying but non-critical bug that we have not been able to reproduce ourselves. We believe happens when you are copying and pasting between TOCs with the mouse in a project with multiple TOCs. However, it is easy to fix:

1) If your project is an uncompressed HMXZ first save it as an uncompressed HMXP in an empty folder (Save As.. in the File menu) so that you can access the TOC files.
2) Open the main TOC file (without a number) in a code editor like Notepad++ and search for the FIRST closing </map>tag.
3) If there are any lines of code after that tag DELETE them all and save.
4) Repeat 1 and 2 for all other TOC files just to be sure.

If this ever happens again and you can remember exactly what you did before it happened we would really like to hear about it so that we can finally eliminate this annoying issue. ;-)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Thank you for the response.

My project is in XML files. I opened the Table_of_Contents.xml file and there is nothing after the </map> tag in the file (see below).

Any other suggestions?

Ed Dressel

Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

Is your project versioned with SVN? There is another issue that this might be if you had a conflict and tried to resolve it with the conflict management feature with "Mine" or "Theirs". Have a look at the topic XML file in an editor. Do you see strange text inserts between the normal XML tags that look like this:
InterruptedSVNRepair.png
This happens when the conflict management gets interrupted for some reason, leaving SVN's placeholders in the file. If this happens you will also see at least one other version of the topic file with an added extension: topicname.xml.mine and possibly also one or more files with the added extension .rxx, where xx is a number, for example topicname.xml.r68. The .xml.mine version is your version of the topic, the .xml.rxx versions are the server versions.

Delete the version with the regular name to get rid of the spurious tags. Then rename either the .xml.mine or one of the .xml.rxx versions to topicname.xml and delete all the others. After that it should be OK again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Thanks for the help. It is not occurring any longer (though I am not sure what I changed).

And again, thank you for the excellent support.

Ed Dressel