Copy from Word and Paste to H+M Leaves Out Formatting And Images

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Damian007

Copy from Word and Paste to H+M Leaves Out Formatting And Images

Unread post by Damian007 »

Hello,

I am trying to update our documentation with content from a Word document but when I copy and paste it into H+M all the formatting and images are gone - it's just plain text. The User Help states the formatting and images should be preserved. :? Any idea why this does not happen for me? Is there a setting somewhere I need to turn on? I looked around but couldn't find one.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Copy from Word and Paste to H+M Leaves Out Formatting And Images

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Damian,

How are you pasting? CTRL+V pastes formatted text, SHIFT+CTRL+V pastes unformatted text.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Damian007

Hi Tim. I tried CTRL+V, SHIFT+CTRL+V, and all the three paste options when right-clicking; Paste, Paste text, Paste HTML but always just get plain text. :(
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Damian,

This is very strange and shouldn't be possible. Pasting from Word in standard mode is always with formatting. I'm checking with our developers if they have any ideas how this could happen and will get back to you here when I have more information. In the meantime, please try restarting Windows.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Damian,

More questions:

1) What exactly are you pasting? If it's a special Word object that could be a problem. Try creating a new Word file and then entering normal formatted text and then pasting that. Does that work?

2) Are you using a real copy of Word installed on your computer or the "online" version (although this shouldn't actually make a difference)?
Regards,

Private support:
Damian007

Looks like the issue was pasting into a virtual machine. I had the Word doc open in my host OS and was pasting the contents into H+M which was in my VM.

Copying & pasting from Word to H+M on the same OS worked as expected with formatting and images.

Thanks for your help.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Damian007 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 pm Looks like the issue was pasting into a virtual machine. I had the Word doc open in my host OS and was pasting the contents into H+M which was in my VM.

Copying & pasting from Word to H+M on the same OS worked as expected with formatting and images.
That's interesting, thanks for posting this. That would be an issue with the clipboard function between the host OS and the VM in your VM system, not with Help+Manual. It must be pasting only restricted content. I just tested this with a VMWare Windows 10 VM and it transfers fully formatted Word content from the host machine to Help+Manual in the VM.
Regards,

Private support: