Missing snippets from repository

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sonia Guimond

Missing snippets from repository

Unread post by Sonia Guimond »

Hi,

I am using a snippet repository and when I generate Webhelp (either from a .bat file or by publishing “manually” from a project), I am getting the following error message.
missing_snippet_batch.png
I have been using the snippet repository extensively, but never seen this problem before.

When I access the topic where the “missing” snippet is located, I see the following error message.
missing_snippet_project.png
If I double-click on the snippet and then click OK to relink it, the problem is resolved. The error message no longer displays, and the contents of the snippet display in the topic.
The last time I generated the help (July 14th), I did not have the problem. The problem occurred when I tried to generate the help on July 15th.
I presume that I did something in the project on July 15th that caused the problem, but I cannot figure out what.
I checked the repository manager in the help project. The project seems correctly linked to the repository. However, the number of the repository seems to have changed. I use 2 repositories (one for the French project, one for the English project). I first created the French repository. If I recall correctly, the French repository had been assigned the number 1. Now, it has the number 2.
Here are the urrent repositories in the repository manager
missing_snippet_repository_manager.png
Questions:
• Would you know what I may have done in the project to cause this problem (so I do not do that again)?
• I have almost 2000 “missing” snippets. Is there a way that I can resolve the problem in batch, instead of double-clicking on each snippet and relinking it again?
Version used: 7.5.3 (build 4740)
Please let me know if you need additional information.
Regards,
Sonia Guimond
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Missing snippets from repository

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sonia,

The screenshots show what the problem is: Your link is to the original repository reference, which does not have a number after its name. Since then you have re-linked the repository twice and now have two references to it, versions _1 and _2. Style repositories are a little tricky in Help+Manual 7 when you move the repository or projects linked to them because the linked references are not editable and are also a little sticky. This has been improved in Help+Manual 8. In HM7m if you don't de-register the repository and restart Help+Manual you will end up with a new repository reference with a number after it, which will no longer match the repository references in your snippets in your project. To unlink and relink in a new location you need to do this:
  1. Go to the Repository Manager and unlink the repository from your project without deleting the styles , then save and close the project.
  2. Go to the Repository Manager again and remove the repository from the list. In your case you need to remove both numbered references.
  3. Close Help+Manual and restart and add the repository in the Repository Manager. Restarting is essential to clear the memory of the old repository so that you don't get a new reference with a number.
  4. Make sure that the name in the list is now the same as it used to be (no number added after the name)
  5. Now start your project and re-link. The name should now match the references in your project.
Note that if you have added new snippet references to the numbered repository entries those will stop working after making this change. So you have to decide which is more work, depending on the number of references in your project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sonia Guimond

Re: Missing snippets from repository

Unread post by Sonia Guimond »

Hi Tim,

Problem solved! Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

Regards
Sonia Guimond