PDF. The separation of the points from the text

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Svetlana Akulova

PDF. The separation of the points from the text

Unread post by Svetlana Akulova »

Hello!
I have a possibly strange question. When publishing a file in PDF format, for some text styles, if italics are used, dots and commas are separated by a space. When I use plain text, there is no space. Sometimes this interval is even longer than in the image. :?
I looked at the style settings, but I didn't find anything that could affect it, I think.
Can you tell me what this might be related to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF. The separation of the points from the text

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Svetlana,

Before doing anything else, make sure that you are using the latest version of Help+Manual 7, which is 7.5.3 Build 4760. You can check this with Help > About. If you need to update you can get the installer here:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver

Also, as John suggested, problems like this are sometimes caused by using an incompatible printer driver as the reference for generating PDF documents.

We recommend using one of the known good standard drivers included with Windows. You don't have to actually have the physical printer. Just add the driver with Add Printer in the printer section of the Windows Control Panel and then select it as your reference driver in Help & Manual. The standard Windows Brother or HP laser printer drivers deliver good results.

Important Notes:

DON'T use use "PDF printer drivers" like Adobe Distiller for this! This will not work properly and is actually counter-productive.

The default page size set for the printer driver in the Windows control panel must be at least as large as the page size you have set in your print manual template. If it is smaller you will get clipping in your PDF pages.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Svetlana Akulova

Yes, Tim, my version of Help+Manual 7 is 7.3.3...

And i use this setting "Microsoft XPS Document Writer"..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Svetlana,
I hope you meant to write 7.5.3... 8)

What is happening here is that you are using a font (for example Tahoma) that does not have an italic version. Windows simulates italics by "bending" the font. This works reasonably well on the screen but not in PDF, and the result is that you get these extra spaces, due to the manipulation of the font in an invisible square box.

There are two ways to solve this problem: Either set your font embedding option to "Type3" in your PDF font embedding settings, or use a font that does have an italic version. Setting Type3 will work fine but the text will be slightly less sharp at higher zoom settings.
And i use this setting "Microsoft XPS Document Writer"..
That will work very well in terms of rendering quality. The only disadvantage with it is that you cannot use it to set higher output resolution like 600 or 1200 dpi that produces a better PDF output.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Svetlana Akulova

Tim Green wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:16 pm
I hope you meant to write 7.5.3... 8)
Hi Tim!
Unfortunately, I didn't make a mistake. I really had version 7.3.3. :roll:
But the update helped! Now everything is beautifully published in PDF format. Thank you! :D