Webhelp: a topic from another build is found in search results

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tansy

Webhelp: a topic from another build is found in search results

Unread post by Tansy »

In the project, the topic (and its parent topic) is marked for build B, but it is found by keywords in the webhelp for build A. When publishing the project, I make sure that the checkbox 'Delete all files in output folder before publishing' is selected. What am I missing?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Webhelp: a topic from another build is found in search results

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tansy,

Check the compiler report to see whether the topic has been included without a TOC entry because of a link to it from another topic. Also check your settings for handling dead links in View > Program Options > Compilers. The settings there determine whether links to excluded topics should force the silent inclusion of those topics or allow the links to be dead. Normally, you should use conditional text tags to exclude both the topic and the links that point to it at the same time. The tags can also be used to insert an alternative text instead of the excluded link.

Another possibility is that you have multiple TOCs and you are using the primary TOC for reduced output. In the primary TOC all topics that are not explicitly excluded with build options will be included, even if they do not have TOC entries. Only secondary TOCs include only the topics included in the TOC.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi Tim,

The compiler report has no errors, no links from other topics to this one.
Also check your settings for handling dead links in View > Program Options > Compilers.
I did, and changed them to exclude links. The problem persists.
Normally, you should use conditional text tags to exclude both the topic and the links that point to it at the same time.
I checked that throughout the document the link to this topic is enclosed in the conditional text tags for build B, and all the topics are also included in build B only.
Another possibility is that you have multiple TOCs and you are using the primary TOC for reduced output. In the primary TOC all topics that are not explicitly excluded with build options will be included, even if they do not have TOC entries.
I double checked that this topic is included ONLY in Build B. If it's of any importance, previously I included a link to this topic to Build A, then, with the help of conditional text, included it to build B only.
Only secondary TOCs include only the topics included in the TOC.
I don't get it, could you explain please?

UPDATE: I worked around the issue by removing the problem topic form ALL builds, and then published a webhelp for build A. and it did not include the problem topic. Still I would like your ideas on what could have been wrong there.
Tim Green
Site Admin

I don't get it, could you explain please?
When you create additional TOCs they function in the same way as build options. Only the topics actually included in your additional TOC are exported when you publish with a secondary/additional TOC. For technical reasons this cannot work for the primary TOC. That exports all the topic files in your project unless they are explicitly excluded with build options. With secondary TOCs it works the other way round: Only the files for topics in the TOC are exported. Any other topic files are only included if they are explicitly included with build options.
UPDATE: I worked around the issue by removing the problem topic form ALL builds, and then published a webhelp for build A. and it did not include the problem topic. Still I would like your ideas on what could have been wrong there.
There must be some factor here that is including the topic for some reason. It would be necessary to have a look at the project to see what it is. You can send it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) for checking if you like and we'll have a look at it. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

When you create additional TOCs they function in the same way as build options. Only the topics actually included in your additional TOC are exported when you publish with a secondary/additional TOC. For technical reasons this cannot work for the primary TOC. That exports all the topic files in your project unless they are explicitly excluded with build options. With secondary TOCs it works the other way round: Only the files for topics in the TOC are exported. Any other topic files are only included if they are explicitly included with build options.
Thank you Tim. How are secondary/additional TOCs created? How do I know it from a primary TOC?
There must be some factor here that is including the topic for some reason. It would be necessary to have a look at the project to see what it is. You can send it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) for checking if you like and we'll have a look at it. 8)
I cannot do that for confidentiality reasons. If the problem persists in the future I will probably use your offer (maybe remove the content), but so far I am good. Thank you very much, I really enjoy your support.
Tim Green
Site Admin

How are secondary/additional TOCs created? How do I know it from a primary TOC?
Here you go:
https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_a ... _tocs.html

The primary TOC is always the one at the top. 8)
Regards,

Private support: