Synchronise projects -- change master project

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Synchronise projects -- change master project

Unread post by John Johann »

I use the synchronise to new project function when creating language variants of projects. All projects are uncompressed.

For historical reasons (transition form an old system), some projects were first available in, e.g., English or German. That means that some masters are EN, others DE. I need to harmonise everything to English master projects. As the projects are all in synch (in regard to structure and topic names), the synchronise tool seems to work ok to make the switch.

However, the former German master which is now the sibling still contains the synchronise info to its formerly English sibling which is now its master (under Synchronise > Compare). How do I get rid of that?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Synchronise projects -- change master project

Unread post by Tim Green »

John Johann wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:37 am However, the former German master which is now the sibling still contains the synchronise info to its formerly English sibling which is now its master (under Synchronise > Compare). How do I get rid of that?
A synch sibling is simply a project that has exactly the same topic IDs as the master. There is no other specific information saved in it except the highlighting and comparison text, which should be gone once the translation has been updated. As long as the topic timestamps in your new master are all the same or newer than in the new sibling you should not have any problems. You just need to avoid having any older timestamps in the master than in the siblings.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the reply. I'm referring to the info shown in the Synchronise > Compare dialogue of the newly "demoted" sibling. The old info from its previous master role is still in that dialogue from the last time it was synchronised as the master. To avoid myself and other users mistakenly synching from the sibling to the master, I'd like to have that dialogue empty (i.e. at its default to create a new project).

I can't simply delete it in the dialogue, so how do I get rid of it?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,

That's really not a problem, it's just the memory of the last thing selected in that dialog. Select the Compare tab from the new master project, then click on the [..] browse button in the Select OLD sibling... field and select the project that is now the old translated version. After that it will remember that one. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Thanks again. Adjusting the setting in the new master to make it the master sticks -- that is not the issue.
It seems, however, that the setting for the old master is stored in the sibling. If I look in the hmxp, there are at least 3 "synchronize"-related sub-elements.

They seem to make the sibling remember it used to be a master. Is it ok to delete them?
The elements are not present in other siblings, say, e.g., FR, which was never a master project.

I don't want to break anything in case there are multiple locations where the info is stored.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,
They seem to make the sibling remember it used to be a master. Is it ok to delete them?
Sorry, I skipped that. Yes, it would be better to delete those three entries before doing the new synch. Please do make backups of everything before actually performing the synch, just in case. Also, make sure the project isn't open in Help+Manual when you edit the .hmxp externally.
Regards,

Private support: