Embed a PDF in a PDF

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Embed a PDF in a PDF

Unread post by John Johann »

For some projects, I'd like to merge PDF files, e.g.:
-- I have an H&M project describing a software option which I output to F1 help and also PDF
-- I have a separate 3D-PDF which illustrates what's been described

I tried merging the PDF files using an external program, but that broke the 3D-PDF.

I then re-discovered the "embed linked files" in a PDF function in H&M and tested. The output PDF is now a lot bigger indicating that the 3D-PDF has been embedded. When I click on the link, the 3D-PDF is opened in a separate tab.

Is that how it is supposed to work? (Is it possible to insert the PDF pages in the flow of the document?)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Embed a PDF in a PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Is that how it is supposed to work?
Yes. It used to be set up to actually replace the current PDF but in 8.2 this has been changed to a new tab, which is more practical, because PDF links don't have a "Back" option at all. This is a restriction of the PDF format. Leaving the original PDF open in the first tab at least allows the user to switch back to that.
Is it possible to insert the PDF pages in the flow of the document?
No. That is physically impossible. A PDF is not a normal document at all. It is just a printout in a file -- literally the output sent to a printer with instructions telling the printer where to put dots and lines on the screen. The only normal document content is the text, and even that is often not there.

The "interactive" features that Adobe has added to PDF over time unfortunately create the illusion that it is an interactive format. It isn't. If you want interactive documentation it's really better to use WebHelp, eWriter or CHM unless you are really just including a couple of simple links.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Re: Embed a PDF in a PDF

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the reply -- that's cool as long as it works --> I'm still on 7.5.4 Build 4760.