Adding "Locate" button to HTML help

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

bruno.stivicevic

Adding "Locate" button to HTML help

Unread post by bruno.stivicevic »

Hi,

The following applies onto Windows 10 1909 64-bit build OS 18363.1082. The OS is in Italian language.

I've noticed recently that the when I browse my help file with <- and -> buttons (the skin is CHM Skin, Light Grey Header, Feature Images.hmskin), the TOC doesn't move the highlight to the current topic - the highlight simply goes away. I believe it worked before. I tested the behavior also in H&M help file and it's the same. I've also tried some very old help files, and it's the same. It might be some problem of my Windows, or of Windows updates, don't know. Have no other computer to try it.

I taught that the old "Locate" button in CHM viewer might help, so I tried to add it to the toolbar. I ticked the "Locate" button in Configuration > Microsoft HTML Help > Help Windows, and then recompiled, but the button didn't appear. Strangely enough, the Jump1 and Jump2 button when ticked, did appear. I've tried to compile with and without skin, but nothing changes.
hmforum1.jpg
I've tried to understand the line in HHP file where buttons appear, but there's no mention of the Locate button, and if I enable all three (Locate, Jump1, Jump2), only the last two appear.

[WINDOWS]
Main="Archivio dell'Attivismo Animalista in Italia TEST","AAAI.hhc","AAAI.hhk","archivio-eventi-antispecisti-i.html","archivio-eventi-antispecisti-i.html","","jump1","","jump2",0x061520,200,0x0C387E,[-1,-1,-1,-1],0xb0000,,,,,,0

What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Bruno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Adding "Locate" button to HTML help

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bruno,

I just checked this, both in HM's own CHM help and newly-generated CHMs and it is working fine. However, note that the automatic highlighting in CHM in Windows 10 doesn't make the same clear blue highlight that you see when you select a topic manually. It is just a very light grey background color, and I can imagine that it is difficult to see on some LCD monitors.

The Locate button simply changes the light grey highlight in the current position to the blue highlight you get when you click on a topic in the TOC.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
bruno.stivicevic

Hi Tim, thank you for your quick answer. You're right, it's so light gray that it's very hard to notice on my monitor! Better so! Now I will look for the way to change the highlight color if possible.

Best regards
Bruno

PS. The Locate button continues not to work, but it doesn't matter.
bruno.stivicevic

I'm stupid: the Locate button appeared, but I didn't recognize it, as it was not added at the end of the row of existing buttons, but as the second button, with the name "Individua".

I apologize!!!!

Best regards
Bruno