Links to anchors in HTML output

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Hawco

Links to anchors in HTML output

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

I'm using H+M 7, and Premium Pack 3. Almost exclusively outputting to HTML.

I have an issue that is hard to reproduce because it only happens SOMETIMES and I can't find any specific trigger. The problem is this: when you click a link to an anchor on a page, sometimes the link fails; it goes to the page, but just runs out of gas on the way to the anchor, so you arrive at the correct topic, but just some random spot on the page. Refreshing the URL corrects the problem, but you have to know to do that (users following the link won't necessarily know to do that).

Here's an example:

https://userguides.tritondigital.com/me ... or=metrics

That link should bring you to the bottom item on the page ("Podcast Explore Metrics"). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It seems like following that link from the link in the product's page almost always fails, although I've checked and the link is formed correctly.

Is this a known issue with a known workaround? I feel like the problem is the page is loading faster than a script or something...
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco
Ed Hawco

Re: Links to anchors in HTML output

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

And look at that; once again I debugged my own problem. The source of the problem seems to be using old style anchor links vs. new style links.

The links that fail are from BEFORE I upgraded to PP3, using ../index.html?podcast-explore.htm#metrics

Using properly formed PP3 links works correctly: ../podcast-explore.html?anchor=metrics

I'll leave this here for future reference and in case anyone else has this issue.
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco