Topics with build status NONE are included in PDF

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Petra Metz

Topics with build status NONE are included in PDF

Unread post by Petra Metz »

Hi,
I have some topics for which I have defined that they shouldn't be included in any build. In Help and Manual they show the status NONE.
But when I publish my manual as PDF, one topic is added, although it shouldn't be. When I publish my TOC as Web Help, this specific topic is not added.

What else can I do so that it doesn't get added to the PDF?

Thanks, Petra
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Topics with build status NONE are included in PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Petra,

Look in the compiler report. It is most likely being included because you have a link to it in another topic and your settings for handling dead links will include linked topics to prevent dead links. You can change the settings for dead links in View > Program Options > Compilers. However, it would be better to use conditional text on the links to exclude them (and possibly replace them with alternative text) at the same time as excluding the topics they link to. See this topic for details:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_a ... links.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Petra Metz

Unread post by Petra Metz »

Hi Tim,
thank you very much for that tip. There was indeed a topic that referenced the one I had mentioned. The funny thing is, the topic that referenced the mentioned topic is also set to NONE. So, it's also not included in the PDF.

Is there maybe a bug?

Anyway. Since I removed that link, my PDF doesn't show that topic anymore.

Thanks again, Petra
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Petra Metz wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:23 pm The funny thing is, the topic that referenced the mentioned topic is also set to NONE. So, it's also not included in the PDF.
There is probably a link somewhere else linking to that topic. You can check this for any topic with the "Find Referrers" function (right-click on the TOC entry or the topic in Project Files > Topic Files).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.