Animated svg in eWriter

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Animated svg in eWriter

Unread post by John Johann »

Is there a setting I need to tweak to get animated svg to work in eWriter?
When I publish to WebHelp (with the same skin), the animation runs. When I publish to eWriter or CHM, it does not.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Animated svg in eWriter

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

This can't be supported. Both CHM and eViewer must use the WebView in Windows, which is currently Internet Explorer. Only the new Chromium Version of Edge ("Chredge") supports SVG animations, and they won't be available in eViewer until Windows switches its WebView component to that.

CHM will probably never support it because it's unlikely to be able to support a modern WebView component like Chromium. CHM is obsolete digital Stone Age technology that hasn't been updated since 1998, and even when "elevated" to the highest HTML rendering level it will support, the way it implements the IE WebView is still well behind what IE 11 actually supports.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Tim Green wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:55 am Only the new Chromium Version of Edge ("Chredge") supports SVG animations, and they won't be available in eViewer until Windows switches its WebView component to that.
FYI, I see the Chromium-based "WebView2" is available as a public preview now per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... /webview2/. When it's released they are recommending that developers ship the runtime with their apps (advice: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... ution-mode) rather than relying on the browser being present and/or the OS being updated.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

Thanks for this, passed on to Alexander. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Tim Green wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:30 am Hi Simon, Thanks for this, passed on to Alexander. 8)
Hi Tim,

I think the evergreen version was released last Monday, so cross fingers it can be plumbed into eWriter...