Publish Webhelp but no .index.html file

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dale Aceron

Publish Webhelp but no .index.html file

Unread post by Dale Aceron »

When I publish to Webhelp, everything seems to be fine, except there is no .index.html, even though I set my output file as index.html
What could be missing?

Attached photo of screenshot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dale Aceron

Re: Publish Webhelp but no .index.html file

I would think that the attached photo means that it should have been a successful Publish?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dale,

You already posted exactly the same problem back in January. The solution when we looked into it was this:

The problem here is that you are publishing to a folder managed by version control and the version control system is doing some processing when you publish. Publishing output is temporary files and should never be in a managed folder of any kind, neither version control like git nor (even worse) managed cloud folders like OneDrive or DropBox, which use primitive diffing and merging systems that can make a horrible mess of files like this.

If you publish to a regular empty folder, ideally in your own Documents directory on your local machine, you shouldn't have these problems.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dale Aceron

Hi Tim,

Yes I did go back to my post history and remembered that I did.
Guess it was just time for me to publish our Doc again :D
This time around, I just published and deployed the .htm files without the index.htm
Seems to have worked for us.