Variables in Output File Name

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

half-bit

Variables in Output File Name

Unread post by half-bit »

Hi

It seems that variables cannot be used in the output file name in H&M version 7 or 8. Or have I missed something? Is this possibly included in H&M 9?

I would like to use the title and version: <%TITLE%>_<%VERSION%>
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Variables in Output File Name

Unread post by Tim Green »

Help+Manual does not currently support the use of variables in output filenames.
half-bit wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:57 pm I would like to use the title and version: <%TITLE%>_<%VERSION%>
That would be a bad idea in many cases, because it would often result in names containing spaces, dots and other characters that will cause all kinds of problems in some output formats (particularly CHM). If you want your files to be usable everywhere you should still avoid spaces and non-alphanumeric characters (with very few exceptions) in the names of all files used on computers. Modern operating systems try to hide the problems from you, but they still exist.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
half-bit

Unread post by half-bit »

Too bad, would be a useful thing. Thank you.

I am aware of the problem with spaces. In our case it's not a problem My example implies other I know :-) Thank you.
Ron Horn

Unread post by Ron Horn »

@half-bit - you might be able to make use of Task Manager to accomplish your goal. I was wishing for variable support in the output filename as well.

In my case I'm already using Task Manager in H&M to define the production output and then added a Post Build Event to process that output file. In my case I'm copying it to a network location and during that copy I utilize H&M variables that I passed to the Post Build Event to create the desired filename from those variables. In your case, just rename the output file in the Post Build Event.