semi bold and light fonts not encoded properly in PDF

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Helge Suess

semi bold and light fonts not encoded properly in PDF

Unread post by Helge Suess »

Hi!

I'm using Help&Manual 7.5.3 Build 4740.

I defined several headings in a .mnl template for PDF output.
I use Segoe fonts for the complete document. Headings are defined as follows:

Heading1: Segoe UI Black 18pt
Heading2: Segoe UI bold 16pt
Heading3: Segoe UI semibold 16pt
Heading4: Segoe UI semibold italic 16pt
Heading5: Segoe UI semibold 14pt
Heading6: Segoe UI semibold italic 14pt
HM_template.PNG
While the headings look ok in the template editor, they won't in the created PDF. Italic appears upright but a little bit blurred.
When checking in the template editor, I realized, that the font shows up as e.g. "Segoe UI Semibold, 16pt" in the edit field.
HM_HeadingProperties.PNG
When opening the font selector, no font is selected at all.
HM_FontSelection.PNG
In the created PDF, all fonts seem to map to basic Segoe UI and italic isn't recognizable at all. Seems to be an encoding problem when writing PDF?

I checked the fonts installed on my PC. The selected variants are present and availble for the selected language (English text only).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: semi bold and light fonts not encoded properly in PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Helge,

There is something odd going on here with the selection and storage of the different font variants of Segoe. Our developers are checking into it. I'll post back here when I have more information.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: semi bold and light fonts not encoded properly in PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Helge,

Update: It turns out that this is an old bug in the Windows font selection dialog used here that has never been corrected (this is part of Windows, not of Help+Manual). The selection is stored in Manual Designer, the dialog is just not picking it up when you reopen it. So if you want to edit it again you just need to select Segoe UI again, and then change your settings accordingly.

I tested this in HM8 and HM7 and the fonts are displayed correctly on all levels. Make sure that you are using the latest version of HM7 (7.5.4 Build 4760), which you can download here if you need to update:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver

Also make sure that you have set font embedding in Configuration > Publishing > PDF > Font Embedding and make sure that Segoe UI is not excluded from embedding.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.