Bugs with highligter config and Arsenal font

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexey

Bugs with highligter config and Arsenal font

Unread post by Alexey »

Hello.

1. The function for importing custom highlighter settings does not work (both HM7 and HM8).
Simply save your current configuration from the dialog and try to import it on another machine - it will show error 'Invalid registry file'.

After some test I discovered that the reason is incorrect path to registry keys saved in the reg file.

Instead of
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\ECSOFTWARE\Help & Manual 7\*
It should be
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ECSOFTWARE\Help & Manual 7\*

(double slash should be changed to single slash)

For HM8 there is one more error - it saves path for HM7 instead of HM8.

So instead of
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\ECSOFTWARE\Help & Manual 7\*
It should be
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ECSOFTWARE\Help+Manual 8\*

2. PDF export does not work well with Arsenal font - https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Arsenal
The line below links is too close to the letters, hiding their bottom part, which looks pretty ugly. See screenshot attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexey

Re: Bugs with highligter config and Arsenal font

Unread post by Alexey »

3. 'Target window = New window' does not work for PDF.
When I view a generated PDF in a browser (Firefox, IE, Edge), all external links are opened in the same window despite I set it explicitly to open in a new window.
Alexey

Unread post by Alexey »

4. Code highlighting does not work for numbers. See attached image
(both HM7 and HM8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alexey,

It would be a lot easier if you would post separately for individual issues. 8)

I can confirm the double slash problem on exporting highlighters in HM7. However, that and the other issue you mention does not exist in the current version of Help+Manual 8. My guess is that your version is out of date (current: 8.3.1 Build 5794). I can confirm the issue with highlighting for numbers provisionally, but I am not quite sure in what context those are supposed to be detected. We're looking into that.

Opening PDF links in the same PDF window was always standard behavior in PDF until recently, so that will not change in Help+Manual 7. PDF isn't HTML, so the window settings for links do not apply to it. However, the basic behavior has been changed in the current version of PDF and links to other PDFs will now open a new PDF tab. Here too, however, the window settings for links do not apply in PDF.

I can't reproduce your problems with the Google Arsenal font. Underlines in it look fine on my systems in both Help+Manual 7 and 8. My guess is that it is a PDF reference driver on your system. Try changing the reference driver in View > Program Options > PDF. It's best to choose one of the standard printer drivers delivered with Windows rather than a custom driver from a printer manufacturer (you don't have to have the physical printer to install one of these).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexey

Unread post by Alexey »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

For the Arsenal font issue, I tried now a couple of drivers (standard and custom), but none of them works well. For example, on the attached image I used Microsoft Print to PDF driver. Some links are displayed well and some are not.
With standard HP drivers (installed from Windows Update) all links have no space between line and text.
Can you tell me exact printer model you use with your test? Will try it on my machine.

ps. As you can see this does not depend on language. Both English and Russian may be displayed correctly or incorrectly.

(HM 7.5.4, build 4760)