Screenshot Toggles not Expanding in Browser

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

gshauffenburg

Screenshot Toggles not Expanding in Browser

Unread post by gshauffenburg »

We are currently using Pro Version 7.5.1 Build 4710

It was brought to my attention yesterday that the screen shot toggles in our help were not working.

I tested and have found that when the help displays after compiling they work, but not when the help is accessed outside of the H&M Application. This led me to discover that the generated help has the TCP-IP address for the local host in front of the document address. If this is not present the toggles do not work.

This issue is occurring in Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.

I have searched the Forum but did not find any posts related to this issue.

Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a fix?
Regards,

Graham Shauffenburg
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Screenshot Toggles not Expanding in Browser

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Graham,

A lot of other things will also not work. 8) This is normal if you try to open WebHelp locally without a web server. As its name indicates, WebHelp is for the Web, and must be on a web server to work correctly. Modern browsers will block communication between the components of complex pages like this when they do not have the protection of a web server because scripts in the page would then be able to use the same type of communication to access your local file system, which would be a serious security vulnerability. Once your WebHelp is loaded to your web server on your intranet or the Internet and accessed via a normal http URL with your web browser you will not have this problem. 

WebHelp is for Web access only, not for local documentation. If you need locally-installed documentation without a web server you need to use a different format. If the documentation is going to be installed on a Windows computer you can use Help+Manual's eWriter format, which is WebHelp packaged in a single file with its own standalone viewer. You can use all the same formatting, appearance and layout skins as in WebHelp, but for local use. The restriction is that it must be on Windows since the eViewer is a Windows application.

Start here to learn about eWriter:

About the format:
https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_r ... s_exe.html

Setting up your project for eWriter:
https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... s_exe.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
gshauffenburg

Tim,

Thanks for the information.

So, I used the e-write to create my help but did not get a table of contents.

I then published as an e-book from within help and manual and then used the e-write application to create my help using the files for the e-book. This gave me my table of contents.

The help now works with but with two issues I have not been able to resolve:
There is an x displayed next to the table of contents and keyword index options. Is there away to have a different icon than an x?

There does not seem to be a search for the entire document like in webhelp, just the current topic. Is there a way to configure/enable full document search?

Thanks again for all your help.
Regards,

Graham Shauffenburg
Tim Green
Site Admin

gshauffenburg wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:38 pm So, I used the e-write to create my help but did not get a table of contents.

What do you mean by that, how did you do it? Normally you should create eWriter (not e-write) from within Help+Manual. You just select Publish and then select eWriter as the output format, along with an appropriate skin. Then you will get a table of contents (provided your project has a table of contents) just as you would with any other format. Then you will have fully-functional documentation, along with functional search, keyword index and so on.

If your project doesn't have a table of contents (files in the Project Files > Topic Files but no TOC entries) you need to create one before publishing. You can easily create TOC entries for topic files by dragging them into the TOC area with the mouse. Then you can organize them with the mouse and with the TOC blue arrow tools in Project > Manage Topics. See this chapter in the help for details:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_worki ... omdem.html
I then published as an e-book from within help and manual and then used the e-write application to create my help using the files for the e-book. This gave me my table of contents.
Nothing will work if you do it like that. The stand-alone eWriter Creator is NOT for Help+Manual projects. It is for users who don't have Help+Manual, who want to package their own HTML systems in an eWriter file. If you do it like that you have to provide all the scripting for anything you want to work, because Help+Manual is no longer able to.
The help now works with but with two issues I have not been able to resolve:
I'm surprised you only have two issues. To get functional eWriter with a Help+Manual project you need to publish eWriter from Help+Manual. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
gshauffenburg

Tim,

Sorry for not catching my typo, e-write was supposed to be e-writer.

In answer to question one, I directed e-writer to my compiled help files for my web help and compiled it.

I did some more digging and found where I need to select e-writer from within the H & M application to compile my help. I was doing a web help compile and then using the standalone e-writer application to compile that output.

I am still having the same two issues. There is an 'x' next to table of contents and keyword search instead of an icon and there is no full document search. I have not figured out how to resolve these issues.
Regards,

Graham Shauffenburg
Tim Green
Site Admin

gshauffenburg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:37 pm I am still having the same two issues. There is an 'x' next to table of contents and keyword search instead of an icon and there is no full document search. I have not figured out how to resolve these issues.
Then you are choosing a skin that isn't working for eWriter. Try choosing one of the regular WebHelp skins that hasn't been edited at all.
Regards,

Private support: