This Page Requires Frames

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Marcologix

This Page Requires Frames

Unread post by Marcologix »

I created a new Webhelp project by importing all of the html output and image files associated with another project for which I unfortunately do not have the source *.hmxz file. When I compile the project, the Navigation pane does not display and I keep getting a notification that says 'This page requires frames.' I have tried selecting various page layout options in the Publishing Options for Webhelp, but the notification persists and I still cannot get the navigation panel to show up. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I suspect the issue is particular to the project I am working on because when I create a brand new demo project from scratch, the navigation panel does display as expected. Thanks in advance for suggestions on how I might remedy the issue.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: This Page Requires Frames

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Marco,

Just importing the HTML and image files wouldn't normally cause this, so long as you do it with either the New Project option or by selecting Import in the File menu for an existing project. My guess is that either you are not using a skin to publish WebHelp and the templates in your project have been damaged or misconfigured, or you are using a damaged skin.

To check this, just click on the Select Skin bar in the Publish screen and select one of the standard skins included with Help+Manual. I would recommend using one with the word "Responsive" in its name.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marcologix

Unread post by Marcologix »

Hi again Tim -

Yeah -- I had actually played around with selecting a variety of skins (including standard ones that are not part of the premium pack) but the problem unfortunately persists regardless. I am hoping that I do not need to rebuild the full project from scratch, but I guess it may come to that. I will continue to hunt around and try different things and hopefully I will get something to work.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Marco,

This shouldn't be happening. Please send me the project at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll check it out for you. Before you do that, please check a couple of basic things:
  • Does any of your topics have the word "index" as the topic ID? That will cause WebHelp to fail. (You can check this by generating a report with the Report tool in the Project tab.)
  • Also check the report for topic IDs with non-alphanumeric and accented characters. Those can also cause major problems if they manage to make it through HM's protections against them.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.