Question about adding a link

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Debbie vanCleef

Question about adding a link

Unread post by Debbie vanCleef »

Hi! Up until now we used a totally customised skin for our release notes webhelp. It comes in Dutch and Enlish (which are 2 separate projects). A user can swith languages by clicking on the flag in the top righthand corner.

I want to switch to the new Responsive_Minimalist_Plain_White skin and add a language selection there too. I enclose a screenhot depicting the top righthand corner menu of the old and the new skin:
menu.png
I can't seem to figure out in which file i should add this link. Can anyone help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Question about adding a link

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Debbie,

In these skins you will want to add this in the drop-down menu. Anywhere else and you will mess up the layout. Also, you will need to do this by having two versions of your web help in two separate folders on your server and switching between them. You probably won't be able to switch the language on the fly in a single version.

The source code for this menu is in the main topic page template. You can edit this with PP ToolBox by clicking on the Page Template button. The entries are the<li> ..</li> elements that come after this block of code:

Code: Select all

<span><%HMBTEXT_ZOOMOUT%></span></a>
	</li> 
Whatever you do do not enter your entry as the last menu entry and do not try to add your own icon. Doing either of these things would cause problems. The icons used in this menu are actually a special font and adding icons requires creating a completely new version of the font, which is not possible at the moment.

Use this as your entry:

<li>
	<i class="icon icon-text-height"></i>
	<a href="http://url of your other version" target="_self" title="tooltip text here" >
	<span>Menu Caption Here</span></a>
	</li>
That will give you a capital A as your icon. That is the only icon that comes reasonably close to what you need here, and it is the only one you can use.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Debbie vanCleef

Hi Tim!
Thanks for your answer. I implemented the code and it works. However "icon icon-text-height" gives me a T. Do you also have the code for that icon that gives me an A ?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Debbie vanCleef wrote: I implemented the code and it works. However "icon icon-text-height" gives me a T. Do you also have the code for that icon that gives me an A ?
Sorry, I forgot that that was not an A. I'm afraid that that is the only one that is implemented there at the moment. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Debbie vanCleef

Ok, thanks. We will make do with the T for now.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Debbie,

The responsive skins use the http://fontello.com/ service to assemble the font of icons to be used. If you look at the list there you could make some suggestions for icons to be added in upcoming updates. If you do it relatively quickly I might manage to get them into the 3.15 update, which is going to be released together with Help & Manual 7.1. :-)

PS: Ideally, the icons you choose should be from the Font Awesome font, because that is the main font we are using.
Regards,

Private support:
Debbie vanCleef

Aha ok! I perused the extensive list and found no British flag unfortunately.

But maybe these 3 icons are an option? (see attachment)
- export
- globe
- london-underground
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Debbie,

I wouldn't had something as specific as a single flag. It would have to be more generic. I'll see about adding the globe icon. :-)
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Debbie,

Update: I just checked, you can get the capital A icon by changing your IE tag as follows:

<i class="icon icon-font"></i>
The globe icon will also be included in the next update. :-) You will then be able to insert it with this:

<i class="icon icon-globe"></i>
Regards,

Private support:
Debbie vanCleef

Nice! Thanks that works. I have a slight spacing issue now.

This is my code:
<li>
<i class="icon icon-font"></i>
<a href="https://sdo.bct.nl/English/index.html" target="_self" title="Select A for English version" >
<span>English</span></a>
</li>
<li>
<i class="icon icon-text-height menuimg"></i>
<a onclick="hmWebHelp.extFuncs('fontSize',[true,'global']);" title="<%HMBTEXT_TEXTPLUSTIP%>">
<span><%HMBTEXT_TEXTPLUS%></span></a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a onclick="hmWebHelp.extFuncs('fontSize',[false,'global']);" title="<%HMBTEXT_TEXTMINUSTIP%>"><span><%HMBTEXT_TEXTMINUS%></span></a>
</li>
<li class="desktop" id="showhide_pageheader">
<i id="showhide_header_icon" class="icon icon-collapse menuimg"></i>
<a title="<%HMBTEXT_HEADER_HIDE%>">
<span><%HMBTEXT_HEADER_HIDE%></span></a>
</li>
<li class="toggles" id="showhide_toggles">
<i id="showhide_toggles_icon" class="icon icon-eye menuimg"></i>
<a onclick="hmWebHelp.extFuncs('hmDoToggle',{method: 'hmToggleToggles', obj: {speed: 80}});" title="<%HMBTEXT_TOGGLESTIP%>">
<span><%HMBTEXT_TOGGLES_SHOW%></span></a>
</li>

And it looks like this:
Is there any way to move the "A English" one space to the right?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Debbie,

Sorry, there was a small item missing. You need to add the menuimg class to the i tag, like this:

<li>
<i class="icon icon-font menuimg"></i>
<a href="https://sdo.bct.nl/English/index.html" target="_self" title="Select A for English version" >
<span>English</span></a>
</li>
Then it should work as expected.
Regards,

Private support:
Debbie vanCleef

Excellent, thanks! I compared the code of the other items but i did not notice that bit.