Command line switch for "Search Platform"

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

matthew.vollnhofer

Command line switch for "Search Platform"

Unread post by matthew.vollnhofer »

I would like to use the same template to create an online and Local (No Web Server) version of a project. However I need to change the Search platform for the local version. Is there a command line switch for the Search Platform setting.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Command line switch for "Search Platform"

Unread post by Tim Green »

matthew.vollnhofer wrote:I would like to use the same template to create an online and Local (No Web Server) version of a project. However I need to change the Search platform for the local version. Is there a command line switch for the Search Platform setting.
Not as such, no. However, you can set this in the skin. So all you need to do is to create two versions of your skin, each with a different search platform. Then you use one skin for the local version and the other for the online version. This is configured in the same place in the ski and that you would set it in your project as well.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Tim Green wrote:you can set this in the skin.
If I use the /O= switch to have multiple skins via the command line, would it be OK [supported] for my right-most skin's project.hmxp to specify only the search platform? I mean stripping out all the other stuff from the skin so all is left is something like:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<helpproject xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="helpproject.xsd" version="1.9" isskin="true" isrepository="false">
  <config>
    <namespaces/>
    <config-group name="html">
      <config-value name="searchplatform">ASP</config-value>
    </config-group>
  </config>
</helpproject>
(Code updated per Tim's tutorial).
Last edited by Simon Dismore on Wed May 18, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

Yes, that should work in principle. Basically, applying a skin is just an XML overload. It works by replacing everything in the current project file by all matching XML tags in the skin file. So you can use any project file as a skin; you just have to make absolutely certain that it doesn't contain anything invalid. That is why it's possible for PP Toolbox to add project settings that are not normally supported in skins.

See this tutorial for full details:

https://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewto ... f=2&t=8557
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Tim Green wrote:See this tutorial for full details: Project Configuration with XML Skins (long version)
Excellent, thanks. Perhaps this should be described in the main documentation when you have sufficient time and fingers!

I've corrected my code above. In case anyone is interested, I saved it as use_asp.xml to the same folder as the project, together with a copy of the "real" skin. I then compiled it using:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\EC Software\HelpAndManual7\HELPMAN.EXE" "Get_Me_Started.hmxp" /HTML /O=Flat_Tomato.hmskin /O=use_asp.xml
Thanks again.