TOC empty & frozen when published to server

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mark Wilsdorf

TOC empty & frozen when published to server

Unread post by Mark Wilsdorf »

I published a short project using the Minimalist_Blue_Diamond (as is, not modified in any way).

Viewed locally (http://127.0.0.1/G:/goflagship/SITE%20L ... index.html), the TOC and Index are populated and work correctly:
Sitelocal.png
Uploaded to our Web site (http://www.goflagship.com/hm/index.html) the TOC is empty, the Index tab will not respond to clicks, etc. (On an android phone the TOC/Index/Search panel covers the rest of the page and won't hide--the page is generally unresponsive to clicks, except that the text can be scrolled):
SiteOnServer.png
What do I need to do differently?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: TOC empty & frozen when published to server

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mark,

Hmm… Either not all the files got uploaded, or something on the server is blocking scripting. I can't check it from here because there's something on your site that is blocking access from outside. What you can do is press F12 in your browser to open the debug and Javascript console. Then when you load the site you'll get error messages or warning messages telling you what's going on.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mark Wilsdorf

Here's what I found in terms of problems/errors (not sure exactly what to look for):
hmErrors3.png
hmErrors2.png
hmErrors1.png
I double-checked, and the file jquery.scrollToMin.js is present.

Since then, I deleted all files from both the local folder and the one on our Web site, then published an even simpler document--one with just three topic pages. The errors are the same.

By the way, I have changed a security setting on our site which should allow you access it now (sorry about that).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I still can't access your site, because it says I'm in a region which is not allowed to access it. That probably wouldn't help however. Please mail me your project and are tested here directly. Than I can use it on our test servers, to see if it's a problem in the project or the skin. If it's not, then it has to be a problem on your server.

Pack the project in a zip and mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll have a look at it.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Mark Wilsdorf wrote:I double-checked, and the file jquery.scrollToMin.js is present.
I think it must be the server. I could reach the site, and according to developer tools the server is responding with a 404 (Not found) error when asked for http://www.goflagship.com/hm/js/jquery.scrollTomin.js. It then serves up a custom 404 html error page.
404 error getting jquery.scrollTomin.js.png
Perhaps jquery.scrollTomin.js isn't really in the js subfolder on your website? Remember the filenames are case-sensitive: scrollToMin isn't the same as scrollTomin.
Mark Wilsdorf

Sometime it takes someone else stating the obvious to make my brain work.

When you said "Perhaps jquery.scrollTomin.js isn't really in the js subfolder..." I immediately realized it was likely a filename case problem...before I reached the part of your sentence which suggested that.

All is well now. I am thrilled with how this simple test site looks on an Android phone: nice work!
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Happy to help :?

There may be an underlying issue. Given that the server's 404 error response isn't visible to end users, it might be less fragile if, when hmcontent.html's initScripts function uses jQuery.getScript to load scripts dynamically, it would check for errors with fail() and report them somehow.

On the other hand it could be argued that the jquery.scrollTomin.js file is so small it doesn't need to be loaded separately anyway!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Thank you for this Simon!

I just checked all the source code and there are no references to this file with an incorrect case. What may be happening is that the FTP program used for uploading may have changed the case of the file. These programs frequently have the option to upcase or downcase file names on upload. Although then you would expect it to do it to all files and and then nothing would work. :?
Simon Dismore wrote:On the other hand it could be argued that the jquery.scrollTomin.js file is so small it doesn't need to be loaded separately anyway!
There is actually a deeper intention behind this. :-) In WebHelp 3 only the absolutely necessary scripts are loaded with the page. All functions which are needed later are post-loaded, either on demand when a user uses them for the first time, or as needed. This significantly reduces initial load times and makes it possible to add new toolbar functions without affecting the times. In addition to this, all the script files that are not needed to display the initial page are post-loaded after the page loads, ensuring that the page appears sooner.

That is what is happening with the jquery.scrollTomin.js file. It is a jquery plugin, so theoretically I could have just tacked it onto the jquery file. However, that would have caused problems if a user ever decided to use their own jquery file. And in the large scheme of things the impact of this small file is negligible. 8)
Regards,

Private support: