PP V3 topic header bug

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Martin Wynne

PP V3 topic header bug

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Tim,

This seems to be a small bug/omission in the PP V3 responsive skins.

Normally if multiple spaces are entered into H&M, for the HTML outputs H&M converts them to alternating strings of ordinary spaces and non-breaking spaces ( ). This prevents multiple spaces from being collapsed to a single space in browsers.

In other skins and outputs, this is also done in the topic header. Which is the one place where you might want wider separations between items by using multiple spaces.

But it's not in the V3 responsive skins. Multiple spaces collapse in the topic headers.

I tried adding white-space:pre; and white-space:pre-wrap; to the css for div#hmpageheader, but this disrupts the height of the topic header. Is there a fix for this?

regards,

Martin.
Simon Dismore

Re: PP V3 topic header bug

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Martin Wynne wrote:In other skins and outputs, this is also done in the topic header. Which is the one place where you might want wider separations between items by using multiple spaces.
Would CSS word-spacing, en space (   ) or em space (   ) be any use for this?
Martin Wynne

Simon Dismore wrote:Would CSS word-spacing, en space (   ) or em space (   ) be any use for this?
Hi Simon,

Thanks for that. I wanted the equivalent of a 1-row 2-cell table with the left cell left-aligned and the right cell right-aligned. I thought I could achieve the same effect with multiple spaces in the centre.

And I have managed to fix it by putting white-space:pre; in the right place! :frustration: (p.topictitle)

In the older skins, and native H&M, you could put all the usual stuff in the topic header if you wish -- tables, HTML code objects, images. I had some gif icons indicating the difficulty grade of a topic by the number of spanners (wrenches):
1_spanner_icon_dark.gif
2_spanners_icon_dark.gif
3_spanners_icon_dark.gif
But in the V3 responsive skins it all gets stripped out, leaving only plain text.

It's not the end of the world, and in a previous post I did say that I am going to stop fighting everything and go with the flow. But it's disappointing none the less. Likewise the inability to use page templates. Why is it that I so often feel that I'm in a minority of 1?

regards,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin Wynne

Hi Tim,

I have found the fix (see my reply to Simon), so no need to reply to my question in my original post. I can't edit it out because of the forum time limit on editing.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

I can understand your frustration. To be honest, I'm still not entirely convinced that responseive design is a good idea. It's unavoidable at the moment, because we're living in a multi-format, multi-device world. But that still doesn't mean it's a good thing in principle. We're trying to make the same set of clothes fit both a toddler and Mike Tyson, and you really can't avoid losing a lot in the process. It's not just the restrictions in the skins; you also have to start restricting your entire layout and writing process while creating topics.

Ultimately, I still believe that completely separate versions of your project and completely separate skins are really the best option for dealing with different device types. Unfortunately, there is no really acceptable way of doing that at the moment. Even if authors were willing to accept all the additional work that involves, you have the problem that Google and other search engines don't like multiple copies.

So at the moment there is no alternative: we just have to accept that layout has become restrictive and radically simplified, as dictated by the needs of the lowest common denominator, and we have to go along with it. To be honest, I have the same feeling about flat design. I'm fairly certain that within a few years we will see flat design in the same way that we now see bell bottomed trousers and mullet haircuts. It's basically just laziness, like the preponderance of silver grey cars that are chosen simply because they show dirt less than other colors .
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.