Context IDs with responsive skins

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Paul Smith

Context IDs with responsive skins

Unread post by Paul Smith »

Hi, I was about to switch to the new responsive webhelp skins from PP 3.15, but then found that they don't seem to support context IDs any more, which means it's going to be a nightmare to change our help system over :-(

Is there any way to make them work?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Context IDs with responsive skins

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

Context IDs are supported and work fine. You just need to use the following syntax:

index.html?contextid=xxxx

where xxxx is your context ID. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Paul Smith

The problem is that the hmcontextids.js file is not generated when using one of the responsive skins.

In my previous skin, there was a publish option "Context ID Links (HM 6.3+)" which caused that file to be generated, but with the responsive skins that option isn't there, and the hmcontextids.js file isn't generated.

If I generate that file using my old skin, and add the file to the files made by the responsive skin, then it works fine, but that is tedious to do.

So, is there any way to make H&M generate the hmcontextids.js file when using the responsive skins?

(I'm using the 'Boxed_Blue_Diamond.hmskin' skin).
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

Important: You must use the current version of Help+Manual (7.1.0 Build 3925) when using the V3 skins. If you don't, you will get all kinds of errors.
The problem is that the hmcontextids.js file is not generated when using one of the responsive skins.
It is generated. It is now in the "js" subfolder. And it works. Please try it, but make sure you are using version 3.15 before you do. You should see the version number in the Help+Manual Premium Pack 3.xx title in the help chapter in the main Help+Manual help.
If I generate that file using my old skin, and add the file to the files made by the responsive skin, then it works fine, but that is tedious to do.
Actually, if you do that nothing at all should work. Either you are not really using a V3 responsive skin, or something in the skin is damaged. Please try it with a fresh copy of a 3.15 skin.
So, is there any way to make H&M generate the hmcontextids.js file when using the responsive skins?
It is already generated, so there's nothing you need to do. 8) My guess is you're either using an outdated copy of HM7 or a damaged and/or outdated skin copy.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Paul Smith

Aha!

We have a PHP script which checks whether the context ID exists (by looking in the hmcontextids.js file) and either does that context link or tries other possible places for the relevant help to be. You've moved the file, so our script is looking in the wrong place.

I guess that because the 'generate context IDs' option isn't there in the publish options, I'd presumed it wasn't an option.

Thanks for the help