Image references in HTML Code Objects - a PP V3 bug?

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Martin Wynne

Image references in HTML Code Objects - a PP V3 bug?

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Tim,

If images are referenced in HTML Code Objects they need to be added to the Baggage files of course.

But there is an additional problem in the V3 responsive skins. On publishing, all images get put in the /images/ sub-folder, including those in the Baggage files.

The references in HTML Code Objects therefore need to be changed to src="images/my_image.png" instead of src="my_image.png".

But on publishing, the "images/" part of the URL gets stripped out, so the image reference fails. :?

At present I can't see any way to get images referenced in HTML Code Objects to appear in V3 skins, unless I'm missing something obvious. The only way is to leave them out of the project entirely and upload them to somewhere else on the server, and reference the full URL.

On the other hand, if the "images/"reference is not stripped out, the reference would no longer work in the V2 Ewriter skins if you want to publish to both. :?

Is it possible to have a V3 skin setting so that only native H&M images are put in the /images/ sub-folder, and any images in the Baggage files remain in the parent output folder?

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Image references in HTML Code Objects - a PP V3 bug?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

This would actually be a HM7 problem, because it means that HM is stripping the URL. My guess, however, is that you're using a relative URL. Try using an absolute one instead. I can't imagine that HM would strip that.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Tim Green wrote:Try using an absolute one instead. I can't imagine that HM would strip that.
Hi Tim,

But then the image is not included in the Ewriter data package, and the Ewriter would require an internet connection to load the image.

I'm trying to publish the project to both V3 (for mobile users) and Ewriter (embedded application help).

I will see what I can do using javascript to create the URL reference.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Martin,
But then the image is not included in the Ewriter data package, and the Ewriter would require an internet connection to load the image.
Use conditional text to make two code objects, one for each output format. And put the file in the Baggage of your project. I'm still going to see if something can be changed about the way HM handles this kind of link, but that should deal with it for the time being.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

Update: I've checked this with Alexander and HM definitely doesn't do any stripping or alteration of links in code objects. I'd like to find out what's going on here. Could you mail me a small demo project at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll try to reproduce it. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Martin Wynne

Hi Tim,

Test project sent.

regards,

Martin.
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

A few months ago I posted something on the HM7 forum, where I could have sworn my URLs were stripped/changed by the PP3 publication process. And it shared a common fate: I didn't yet have time to follow it up...

Feelingwise, this sounds very similar.

Kind regards,

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Gerold Krommer wrote:A few months ago I posted something on the HM7 forum, where I could have sworn my URLs were stripped/changed by the PP3 publication process. And it shared a common fate: I didn't yet have time to follow it up..
That turns out to be correct: If your code objects (or anything else in your templates) reference a file that is in the baggage with a relative path Help+Manual will correct that on publishing so that it matches the actual path in the WebHelp folder. The error was that it didn't take the sub-folder used by WebHelp 3 (PP3) into account. This has now been corrected and the fix will be included in the 7.2 update due out soon.
Regards,

Private support: