Toolbox 3.22 - Problem adding Prefix

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

DeWayne Rosene

Toolbox 3.22 - Problem adding Prefix

Unread post by DeWayne Rosene »

I have used this function many times but have a very small project (30 topics) where the progress bar quickly jumps to nearly the end and then just sits and never completes. I have tried it against both the hmxz and hmxp versions of the project with the same results. Any Idea what the problem could be?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Toolbox 3.22 - Problem adding Prefix

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi DeWayne,

Please mail me a small demo project illustrating the issue at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I will check it right away.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Toolbox 3.22 - Problem adding Prefix

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dewayne,

Update: I've done some work on this feature in the meantime and what was probably happening is that your project contained one or more topics with minor XML errors created in an older version of HM. These would not be serious enough to trip up HM, but they get caught by the stricter .NET XML check in Toolbox, which then refuses to extract the XML for the topic file at all, just providing an empty file instead. The Prefix routine wasn't checking for invalid topics before trying to process them. As a result it was trying to work on a null string instead of a topic file and hung.

If you can see which topic it was you can almost always fix it by making any small change in the topic and re-saving it with Help+Manual. Toolbox will then process it without errors. I've already modified it so that it checks for topics like this and tells you which ones they are. In addition to this it now also updates prefixes in multiple TOCs if they are present and in the default/home topic, which it didn't do before. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.