V3 Responsive Skin : Remove Project Title from Header

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Marcologix

V3 Responsive Skin : Remove Project Title from Header

Unread post by Marcologix »

I am using the 'Boxed_Plain_Grey' skin to generate Web Help output (H&M v7) and I am unable to keep the title of the Project from showing up in the header section.

The following conditions are true:

1. I am working on a copy of the original template.

2. I am making all edits within the copy of the template, and not in the *.hxmp file for the project.

3. By default, the 'Single Page Responsive' option is selected as the template Layout. This layout option does not provide you with the ability to access / edit any HTML code.

4. If I select another layout option (say 'Integrated' or 'Classic 3 Frames'), I am then given the option to access / edit the associated HTML Code. However, I can never see the result of my edits because simply selecting one of these other options will result in the following error when the project is published: "<%TABLE_OF_CONTENTS%> variable missing in Content template!" (Note that this error will occur even if no code changes have been made.)

5. In the off chance that it might have worked, I did also try to modify the 'Default' HTML code falling under 'HTML Page Templates'. I commented out '<title><%TOPIC_TITLE%></title>' in the Head section of the page. As I suspected, this did not provide any fruit either.

And with all of that, I am at a loss. Thanks in advance for any input on this matter.
Martin Wynne

Re: V3 Responsive Skin : Remove Project Title from Header

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi,

The V3 Responsive Skins are edited using the PP Toolbox application, not in H&M itself.

hmToolbox.exe in your program installation folder. It's useful to create a desktop shortcut for this.

You can then edit the HTML in the Page Template for the skin. Notepad++ (free) is the preferred text editor for this: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

See the Help & Manual Premium Pack chapter in the H&M Help. Note that this chapter is available ONLY in the CHM version of the Help, so if you never use the CHM you will never see it. That's where I went wrong too, much preferring the online Webhelp version.

regards,

Martin.
Marcologix

Hi Martin -

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know you can use the PP Toolbox application to edit the V3 Responsive Skins, but I have also been able to make edits directly within the skins themselves by simply opening the skin file, tweaking the HTML and then saving the file. I have done this several times and the edits are preserved.

Unfortunately, however, none of the edits -- including the intuitive one of simply removing the <%TOPIC_TITLE%> tag from the head section found in HTML Page Templates / Default -- does the trick.

Anyway, if you (or someone else) has more ideas about what needs to be done to keep the Project Title from showing up in the Head section of the output in a Webhelp project using a V3 Responsive Skin, that would be great.

Regards.

Marco
Marcologix

Well, I finally managed to figure out how to remove the Project Title from the header in a WebHelp project (when using a V3 Responsive skin.) This is what I did: I opened the skin and navigated to the Baggage files. There is a file in there named: 'HM_HEADERBOX.html'. I selected the file in order to view its contents.

Code: Select all

<IFNOT_OPT_NOHEADERLOGO><a id="headerlogo" href="<%HEADERLOGO_URL%>" title="<%HEADERLOGO_TITLE%>" target="_blank"></a></IFNOT_OPT_NOHEADERLOGO>
<div id="headerwrapper"><h1 class="page_header" id="hm_pageheader"><%TITLE%></h1></div>
I then simply removed the <%TITLE%> tag from the code. Once the edited skin is saved, the title of the project will no longer show up in the header section of the published output.

(Note that this can either be done via the Premium Pack Toolbox OR directly within the skin file itself.)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Marcologix wrote:4. If I select another layout option (say 'Integrated' or 'Classic 3 Frames'), I am then given the option to access / edit the associated HTML Code. However, I can never see the result of my edits because simply selecting one of these other options will result in the following error when the project is published: "<%TABLE_OF_CONTENTS%> variable missing in Content template!" (Note that this error will occur even if no code changes have been made.)
The "Layout" definition controls the type of skin you are generating. You must never change this in any pre-designed skin, the result will always be disastrous. The V3 skins are "single-page responsive" skins and if you change that they will no longer work because then Help+Manual generates completely different HTML code on many many levels, for traditional skins using a frame-based layout, and nothing in the skin is prepared for that. There isn't any HTML for the layout page because there is NO layout page in the V3 skins. Everything is in the HTML Page Template because that is the main page.

In the V3 skins, every single topic page contains the entire layout -- index.html is now just the shorthand for the default topic. Whichever page the user starts from becomes the "main" page and they then stay there. When they browse in the help the contents of the topic box are dynamically replaced.

Hope this makes it a little clearer.

On the project title issue:

The project title is the <%TITLE%> tag, and it's referenced in the HM_HEADERBOX.html file in the baggage. The easiest way to eliminate the title without interfering with anything is to make the header invisible without removing it from the layout of the page:

<div id="headerwrapper" style="visibility: hidden;"><h1 class="page_header" id="hm_pageheader"><%TITLE%></h1></div>
This eliminates the need to also edit the CSS files to get rid of the background on the empty header box etc.

All this being said, however, I would say that removing the project title might not be such a good idea.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.