Primer for creating our own skins

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Dressel

Primer for creating our own skins

Unread post by Ed Dressel »

We are in the middle of a rebrand and I have someone I want to give information to on creating our own skins.

Do you have any a primer for getting someone started? I saw this:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... agebg.html

But I was looking for something more on how to get him started.

Thank you,

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Primer for creating our own skins

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

What exactly do you mean by "creating your own skins"? Do you want to create a skin from scratch, or modify an existing one? Note that if you create one from scratch you won't get any of the functionality like responsiveness, AutoTOC etc, which is part of the ready-to-use skins.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Sorry for the ambiguity. Here is an example of our HTML help that is branded with our current logo:

http://www.asktrak.com/help/

I am hiring someone to put our new brand in the help files.

Is there a primer (or is there someone who knows how to do this and would contract to do it sooon--if so email me at Dressel at Ask TRAK dot com, with obvious edits).

Thank you,

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ed,

If all you want to do is apply your current logo then that is described in detail in the documentation. It's quick and easy. See here:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... dfoot.html

You can find lots of other simple instructions in the Configuring for Use chapter. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Tim:

Thank you. A few questions from a newbie on this:

1) I have an old HTML skin that I want to change--or should I start with an existing 3.x skin and modify it?
2) In the Toolbox 3.3, the "Project Options" button is disabled. Should it be enabled?
3) In the combo box of variables, I don't see "Header & Footer",
4) Every time I click on a button, the help file gets in the way showing a warning message. I got it. how do I keep that from showing up any more?

Much appreciated.

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ed,
1) I have an old HTML skin that I want to change--or should I start with an existing 3.x skin and modify it?
You can change an old skin if you like, but that will not transform it into a V3 skin. That would be like changing the oil in a VW Beetle and having it to turn into a Corvette. 8)
2) In the Toolbox 3.3, the "Project Options" button is disabled. Should it be enabled?
You need to activate Advanced Options in Edit > Preferences to enable things like that.
http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... prefs.html
3) In the combo box of variables, I don't see "Header & Footer",
What is shown there depends on the skin type you are using. Each skin type contains different groups and sets of variables. Make sure you are looking at the documentation for the correct skin type. There are separate chapters in the help for each type. Again, you can't convert one skin type into another.
4) Every time I click on a button, the help file gets in the way showing a warning message. I got it. how do I keep that from showing up any more?
Which warning is that? You can turn off a number of automatic help displays in the Preferences.
Regards,

Private support: