Configuring position of title in WebHelp output?

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Configuring position of title in WebHelp output?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

I must be missing something. I can find where to change the font and color (& shadow and color) of the WebHelp title in a V3 responsive skin, but not the title's position. Right now, it's centered, and I'd like it to appear to the left.
Martin Wynne

Re: Configuring position of title in WebHelp output?

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Dave,

For what? Webhelp on a desktop computer?

In the Baggage Files, edit the hmwebhelp_main_desktop.css file.

Find h1.page_header {

Change text-align: to left;

The result may or may not be what you are looking for. Tim has fine-tuned the CSS and changes can produce unexpected results.

cheers,

Martin.
Dave Gehman

Martin Wynne wrote:Hi Dave,

For what? Webhelp on a desktop computer?
Oops, yes - Webhelp for desktop and tablet. Nobody will be using our software on a smart phone.
(useful pointer to the code)

The result may or may not be what you are looking for. Tim has fine-tuned the CSS and changes can produce unexpected results.
Since right - center - left positioning is a basic graphics design variable, I would have preferred to have a slot available in PP Toolbox for this. Believe me, I have no deep desire to fiddle with CSS files.

There are slots for font, color, and other design elements in PPT. When I asked prior to purchasing whether elements in the skins were configurable, I meant configurations for basic layout needs, not thinking to specify right - center- left positioning, which I consider an A-level configurable, on a par with font and color...
Martin Wynne

Dave Gehman wrote:Since right - center - left positioning is a basic graphics design variable, I would have preferred to have a slot available in PP Toolbox for this. Believe me, I have no deep desire to fiddle with CSS files. There are slots for font, color, and other design elements in PPT. When I asked prior to purchasing whether elements in the skins were configurable, I meant configurations for basic layout needs, not thinking to specify right - center- left positioning, which I consider an A-level configurable, on a par with font and color...
Hi Dave,

Tim has provided Toolbox variables for everything which can be sensibly changed by the user. If he hasn't provided a variable, you can assume that changes to the setting could produce undesirable or unexpected results. In this case for example the header might get partially hidden behind something else, according to the viewers screen settings or type of device. Yes you can change anything and everything, but then it is down to you to sort out any issues arising. It would be unreasonable to expect Tim to support every conceivable change that might be made in the .css.

I change everything in sight in the first 5 minutes. :) , but I would never come here to expect Tim to sort it out if it goes wrong (which it then does quite often).

Generally you should regard the provided skins as pre-sets which have been created to be used as-is, with only minor changes. The original idea of H&M in the early years was that you create your own skin from scratch, which of course you can still do if you wish.

cheers,

Martin.
Dave Gehman

I see.

Just to clarify a bit, I'm not looking to alter the position of the header. I've already told our designer that the basic layout, the basic screen real estate, is fixed. I'm looking to alter the position of the text within the fixed header.

If I say no to editing CSS, as I should (considering my lack of expertise in that department), then I just have to jettison our best image and create a secondary choice, some image that accommodates text in the center. Not impossible. Just not optimum.
Martin Wynne

Dave Gehman wrote:If I say no to editing CSS, as I should (considering my lack of expertise in that department), then I just have to jettison our best image and create a secondary choice, some image that accommodates text in the center. Not impossible. Just not optimum.
Hi Dave,

No reason to be so negative. :) CSS is easy to change -- if it goes wrong just change it back.

But you need to test any changes very thoroughly. For example by zooming the browser a long way up or down; by changing the screen dpi setting; by resizing the browser window down to something quite small; by viewing it maximized on a widescreen 4K monitor; by trying it on tablet computers and on mobile devices (each of which have their own CSS files) in both landscape and portrait orientation.

If you accept the skins as provided, Tim or Alexander have done all this testing for you.

cheers,

Martin.
Martin Wynne

Hi Dave,

A further thought. You may find it easier to include the name of the webhelp in the header image. Then there won't be any problems with alignment between the two.

You can then turn off the original header text by inserting this new line in the CSS (immediately below the text-align:center; line):

display: none;

cheers,

Martin.
Dave Gehman

Martin Wynne wrote:Hi Dave,

A further thought. You may find it easier to include the name of the webhelp in the header image. Then there won't be any problems with alignment between the two.
Of course - brilliant!

I'm not really negative about CSS even though it creates a web page source that's not very human-friendly. I'm apprehensive about my ability to throw it around successfully in a short time.
Dave Gehman

Martin Wynne wrote:....

You can then turn off the original header text by inserting this new line in the CSS (immediately below the text-align:center; line):

display: none;
Tried to find it, but -- where is this CSS passage?
Martin Wynne

Dave Gehman wrote:Tried to find it, but -- where is this CSS passage?
Hi Dave,

See: https://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewto ... 092#p62092

Martin.
Dave Gehman

:oops:

I seem to be specializing in missing the obvious...

Thanks for your patience.