Basic questions re. light mods to premium uskin

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Elissa Miller

Basic questions re. light mods to premium uskin

Unread post by Elissa Miller »

(Well, you had to know this was coming, right? Also, as always, I'm not a developer and I'd rather do this once, correctly, with your help than try to figure out how to swim in a pool that we all agree I have no business being in. In my defense, I only pop up with these questions every couple of years.)

I've identified the premium skin that's closet to the default we'd been using for WebHelp. I excluded from the build the images that I don't want to use. But, I need to do some stuff to make this look right. These questions concern the fixed elements at the top of help.

My output currently looks like this:
HeaderStuffIWantToChange.png
When editing the skin, 1) What is the name of the item I want to change and 2) Where do I go to make change the item? (Those might be in the wrong order.) I need to:

* Fit my logo into the available space. The logo png I added to baggage files is actually the right size, so I assume I have to go somewhere and tell it to stop expanding to fill the space left by removing the much bigger H&M logo from the skin's baggage files.

* Eliminate the "Doubleknot Online Help" text centered at the top.

* Remove or revise the far-right navigation (EC Software, Tutorials, etc.) In the magical world of the future, I'll want to customize these to go to our own resource videos and tutorials, but for now I'd just like to suppress it and then re-add it when, uh, resources exist.

Also, while I'm asking thoroughly basic questions:

* Where/how do I change the font for the TOC and the topic name? Trebuchet is a little too exciting for the target audience. :)

* Where do I resize the font used in help topics? When a browser is displaying at 100%, I'd like the text to be a bit smaller.

I hope that these are simple enough for me to change; I've had no trouble implementing your past instructions (I try to make up for ignorance with obsessive attention to detail).

Thank you as always for your patience and your help.

Best,
Elissa M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Basic questions re. light mods to premium uskin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Elissa,

Note that you can find almost everything you need to know about configuration in the PP help, which is available in three locations:
  • Added to the main Help+Manual help as the "Help+Manual Premium Pack" chapter when you install the PP.
  • The online version here: http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3help/index.html
  • From the Help menu of the Toolbox utility. You can configure whether you prefer to view the online or local CHM version in Edit > Preferences of the toolbox
Most of the main configuration options are covered in this chapter.
Elissa Miller wrote:* Fit my logo into the available space. The logo png I added to baggage files is actually the right size, so I assume I have to go somewhere and tell it to stop expanding to fill the space left by removing the much bigger H&M logo from the skin's baggage files.
The instructions for the header and logo are here in the documentation.
You can delete the original logo in the skin if you want, but it's much easier to simply name your logo logo-image-desk.png and your mobile version logo-image-mobile.png and then just overwrite the versions in the skin. You adjust the relative size of the logo by changing the values in the HEADERLOGO_REMWIDTH variables (one each for desktop, tablet and phone modes). The height is automatic and the width is relative. The rems units used are based on the current font size, so the logo will expand and contract automatically as the user zooms the page or changes the text size in the hamburger menu.
* Eliminate the "Doubleknot Online Help" text centered at the top.
That is the title of your project. It inserts the text you enter in the project title field in your project, in Configuration > Common Properties > Title and Copyright. Generally speaking I'd recommend having a title here rather than nothing.
* Remove or revise the far-right navigation (EC Software, Tutorials, etc.) In the magical world of the future, I'll want to customize these to go to our own resource videos and tutorials, but for now I'd just like to suppress it and then re-add it when, uh, resources exist.
The default entries in the menus are just for illustration and as a dummies for replacing with your own entries. All the instructions you need for turning off or configuring these menus are in this topic in the help.
Where/how do I change the font for the TOC and the topic name? Trebuchet is a little too exciting for the target audience. :)
These are all configured in the Main Layout Fonts variables group when you are editing the skin in Toolbox.
Where do I resize the font used in help topics? When a browser is displaying at 100%, I'd like the text to be a bit smaller.
Increase the size of the font used in your project, that is what defines it. If you are using styles correctly in your project you should be able to do that globally by changing the size of the Normal font in Write > Styles > Edit Styles. That will propagate to all the styles based on Normal, which should generally be all the main styles you are using in your topics. Beyond that, it is the user who changes the text size in the WebHelp with the options in the More menu. Those are stored between sessions so that when the user returns they will get the same text size they set on the last visit.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.