PPT - Edit JavaScript Popup Options setting 3?

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

PPT - Edit JavaScript Popup Options setting 3?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

H+M 7.4.1 Build 4615
Output of H+M project: WebHelp
PPT 3.46
Edit > JavaScript Popup Option\\
Skin: WebHelp_SlateGrey

I have a popup in the H+M Project. According to Premium Pack Toolbox 3.46, under Edit> WebHelp JS Popup Settings, "JavaScript Popups" have the setting "3."
Help for that setting reads: "3: Plain for field level + JavaScript popupsfor topics" - I think that means popups in WebHelp actually pop up. (Setting 1 for plain tells me it opens a new topic).

In the test-bed (local) URL that opens at the end of publishing as WebHelp -- that is, the "online" help file that opens up in Chrome that is actually on my computer, not uploaded to the Internet -- activating the popup results in opening a new topic.

How do I get the popup to open as a popup?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PPT - Edit JavaScript Popup Options setting 3?

Unread post by Tim Green »

In the test-bed (local) URL that opens at the end of publishing as WebHelp -- that is, the "online" help file that opens up in Chrome that is actually on my computer, not uploaded to the Internet -- activating the popup results in opening a new topic.
If you created a normal topic link within the project to the popup topic and it's not working then it isn't really defined as a popup. Also, if it is even possible to display it as a normal topic that is a positive sign that it is not defined as a popup. Make sure that it doesn't have a TOC entry (if it does it is automatically not ever a popup) and that its class in the topic options is set to popup. If you continue to have problems mail a small sample project to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll check it for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Thanks. A couple of things:
The popup topic was done per docs - in Project Files > Topic FIles > Topics > "1POP-Account.xml" (this, a definition of the word "account"). Its Topic Class is Popup.
The topic, 1POP-Account doesn't show up in the TOC.

Might this be a problem caused by the fact that I have not uploaded the WebHelp site to the real Internet? That I'm looking (with Chrome) at a local web created by H+M?
Dave Gehman

Are there restrictions on topic ID - that they cannot start with a numeral?

I prefix popups with "1POP" to make them rise to the top of the alphabetized Topics list in the Project Explorer.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Generally, it is better to continue to observer the rule that file and folder names shouldn't start with numbers. It's really just a precaution to avoid hard-to-identify problems that may (or may not) occur somewhere later down the road. If you continue to have problems, please mail a small demo project and the skin you are using to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll check it for you.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

EDITED Re: PPT - Edit JavaScript Popup Options setting 3?

EDIT: IT's THE SKIN.... FURTHER EDIT: It's publishing selected topics, see next post in this thread

I decided to load the HELPMAN project and published it as WebHelp using your skin. The popups work in the internal non-Web so...

"Is there a problem with the non-Internet "Web" deployment? Do popups have to be uploaded to the actual Internet to work?" - NO, the popups work in the internal, non-Web "internet" - doesn't need to be uploaded.

EDIT: Then I applied the HELPMAN project's skin (HM7-Help-Webhelp-Responsive) and published my current project. THE POPUPS WORK.

I'll try a standard version of the skin we've modified to see the result and post as a reply below.

Meanwhile, I'll package a mini-project, but it may not be soon. We're in the middle of a breakneck speed revision.

Meanwhile, I'm having trouble renaming the files starting with "1POP" - F2 (edit) isn't an option in the Topic Files tree. What's the best practices method for changing these file names?
Last edited by Dave Gehman on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Gehman

The cause of the problem is that I selected only a few topics to publish.

That is, I selected what I thought were the needed topics
- the type Default ones in the main body of the help (a few topics that included popups)
plus
- the relevant type Popup XMLs in the Topics tree (the targets of the links in the topics in the main body that contain popups).

When you select "Publish selected TOC items only" under "Select Table of Contents to publish with:", popups aren't pop-ups when published as WebHelp -- that is, they don't pop up in situ. Instead, they open the popup topic contents in a new help tab.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Ah, yes: The "selected items only" option is for quick layout tests only and has a number of restrictions. It also doesn't generate a search index, for speed. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

Understandable. I erred in trying to use it to test functionality (as opposed to layout/graphics). It was kinda fun running down the cause, anyway.