PP V3 Skin "EC Software" Menu in the Page Header

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rainer Oehry

PP V3 Skin "EC Software" Menu in the Page Header

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

The V3 Webhelp skins include a small menu in the page header ("EC Software", "Tutorials", "Resources", "Information").

Can I customize resp. include/exclude this menu via a variable or an option setting?
(Probably just didn't find it, because it was not obvious to me).

Thank you.
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PP V3 Skin "EC Software" Menu in the Page Header

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rainer,

Here is the topic you wanted to look for:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... _menu.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rainer Oehry

Thank you very much, Tim. I knew the option had to be somewhere …

I had considered a full text search to find the correct baggage file. I believe I cannot search within baggage files? I thought about exporting all the skin's baggage files and then search them with an external tool like grep, but couldn't figure how to export them. I understand that exporting baggage files is possible with "own'" baggage files that had been added to the project, but I did not see an option to export them from the skin in the Toolbox, nor could I find a way to import them into the project first and then export them from there.

Is there a way to do that?
Regards,

Rainer
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rainer,

You can't search within the baggage from HM or Toolbox. However, you can create an "unpacked" version of a skin that will continue to work fine, with the one exception that the preview image won't display when you select it in Help+Manual. Then you can search all the searchable files in the Baggage folder with a tool like Notepad++:
  1. Use a Zip utility to unpack the contents of the .hmskin file to an empty folder. You may need to change the extension of the .hmskin file to .zip first with some utilities.
  2. Change the name of the project.hmxp file to whatever_you_want.hmskin
  3. Use and edit the skin normally
Both Help+Manual and Toolbox will handle unpacked skins normally. 8)

PS1: If you ever want to use the packed version again remember to change the .hmskin file name back to project.hmxp!
PS2: If you're careful, you can use a merging and diffing tool like WinMerge or BeyondCompare to update unpacked skins from new versions when they are released. ("If you're careful" is meant very seriously there...)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rainer Oehry

I will seriously give it a very careful try … no, wait … I will carefully give it a very serious try … whatever 8)

Thank you so much, Tim!
Regards,

Rainer