V3 WebHelp Skin - Publish Local - Printable Version error

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jetthaus

V3 WebHelp Skin - Publish Local - Printable Version error

Unread post by jetthaus »

When publishing the local version using our V3 WebHelp skin (Local Without Web Server selected), More > Printable Version produces an error:
Local_More_Printable-Version.png
CORS error.PNG

Please advise.

Thank you,
Jett Hausmann

H+M 7.5.3 build 4740
PP 3.47
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jetthaus

Re: V3 WebHelp Skin - Publish Local - Printable Version erro

UPDATE:

It is more than just "More > Printable Version" that is not working.

When I initially publish (Local Without Web Server), everything works in the local WebHelp version that is automatically launched in the browser:
Publish-to-browser.PNG
But when I launch the local WebHelp using INDEX.html in the updated HTML folder, in addition to "More > Printable Version" not working, none of the links in the header menu work:
Launch-from-HTML-folder.PNG

Thank you,
Jett Hausmann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jett,

This is a new restriction in current web browsers. Pages not on web servers are no longer allowed to open new windows of any type, so any link that opens a page in a new tab is blocked. I'm afraid there is no way around this; it is an absolute security restriction -- not only on windows opened by scripts but also on windows and new tabs opened by normal hyperlinks. Even Firefox, which used to be the only browser that would allow local WebHelp even without the technology in the V3 skins, now does this. Because of this we are also going to have to remove the local WebHelp without server option in the next major update, because there is no longer really any point in maintaining it because it is no longer useful.

It was a nice try, and many weeks of work, but its run has now finished, unfortunately. If you need local help I suggest using Help+Manual's eWriter format, which also supports context help and has many advantages over both local and online WebHelp on Windows computers. There are eWriter versions of all the same skins, so you get the same appearance and functionality. Start here for information:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... riter.html

However, if your users have Internet access it is still easiest and most efficient to just put your WebHelp on your web server. Among other things, you can then update it for all your users at any time without having to redistribute.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jetthaus

Hello Tim,

Thank you for the reply and suggestion.

We are putting a V3 responsive WebHelp manual on our server for each of our software products. For the local manual we will explore including an eWriter eBook and also a PDF version.

Regards,
Jett Hausmann