Toolbox Problem

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Griet Ameeu

Toolbox Problem

Unread post by Griet Ameeu »

Hello

I am trying to use the new v4 magazine skin for my site, but I cannot customize it in the Toolbox :( .
When I load the skin, the Toolbox crashes. This is the same for the new v4 flex skins.

I have tried with version 4.00 and 4.0.1.

Best regards
Griet Ameeu
peter54

Re: Toolbox Problem

Unread post by peter54 »

i have the same problem -
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is really strange because we can't reproduce it here. All the skins, including the ones you mention, open and edit just fine, and since we can't reproduce it, it's very hard to analyze what might be causing it. Please provide some details of your configuration so that we can try to figure this out:
  • Windows version and build number
  • Full path of the skin in the location where you are trying to open it, including drive letter or server name on UNC paths
If possible, it would also be helpful if you could check the version of the .NET framework. You can do this with RegEdit. The information is in the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

The version number is store in the Version keyword there. There may be a couple of sub-folders there, but they will have the same version number internally. See the screenshot from my system below.

net_version.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Griet Ameeu

Hi Tim
  • I have copied a magazine skin to c:\tmp\Modern_Magazine_Hot_Tango_WebHelp.hmskin
  • I have .Net 4.8 (see the screenshot)
  • I am running dutch windows 8.1 (6.3.9600) with all updates installed
  • I have also tested with dutch windows 10, last version. The same error is there
Best regards
Griet Ameeu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Griet,

This is very mysterious. Please try the following:
  • Rename the skin file to something short, like myskin.hmskin, then try to edit it.
  • Load the skin in Help+Manual, make some small change there and re-save it. Then try to edit it in Toolbox.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Griet Ameeu

Hi Tim

I have just tried your suggestions:
  • rename the skin to a short name
  • open the skin in help and manual 8
    *change something and save the skin again
  • open it in the Toolbox, with again the same error
A have also tried something else:
  • renamed the skin to .zip
  • replace the project.hmxp file with a project.hmxp file from a working v4 skin
  • rename again to .hmskin
  • Try to open it in Toolbox, with success!
So, there must be something wrong in the file project.hmxp that generate the error...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Griet,

Thank you very much for this! Please mail me the project.hmxp file that is associated with the issue, along with the name of the skin you have taken it from, at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I will look into this immediately.

I'm very sorry for all this trouble. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Griet Ameeu

Hi Tim

I have sent the mail to support...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: I have now identified and located the problem. It was connected to the floating-point transparency values used for some color configuration variables in these skins. They assumed a decimal point, and if Windows regional settings were set to use the comma as the decimal separator the values calculated were invalid and caused an overflow because the decimal point was interpreted as a thousands separator. The 4.0.2 update with a fix for this will be coming soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.... :evil:
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

A new installer with the 4.0.2 update for Toolbox is now online. You need this if your Windows is set to use commas instead of periods/points as decimal points.
Regards,

Private support:
peter54

Unread post by peter54 »

Hi,
my configuration : Windows 10 1909; NET Framework : 4.8.03752
regional settings : french

the latest version.02 fro PP toolbox resolved the problem.
thank you.
kind regards
peter
Griet Ameeu

Thank you, Tim!

To solve this problem for us so fast! This is TOP SUPPORT, even on sunday!

Best regards
Griet
Aquarius_42

Unread post by Aquarius_42 »

Tim Green wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 pm A new installer with the 4.0.2 update for Toolbox is now online. You need this if your Windows is set to use commas instead of periods/points as decimal points.

Hello Tim,

that sounds good but where can i find the new Installer for the Toolbox, 4.02
Tim Green
Site Admin

Aquarius_42 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:37 pmthat sounds good but where can i find the new Installer for the Toolbox, 4.02
The download link and your installation password are included in the mail you received when you purchased. They stay the same for you. If you have lost them please contact support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). :)
Regards,

Private support:
Aquarius_42

Unread post by Aquarius_42 »

Tim Green wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:43 pm
Aquarius_42 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:37 pmthat sounds good but where can i find the new Installer for the Toolbox, 4.02
The download link and your installation password are included in the mail you received when you purchased. They stay the same for you. If you have lost them please contact support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). :)
OK, sry :frustration: its Friday