Maintaining existing projetcs

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Olivier Beltrami

Maintaining existing projetcs

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

Hi Tim,

On the Premium Pack 4.2 Update page, it states that "Version 4.2 includes a general overhaul of a lot of code, also for the update to the latest version of jQuery. Because of this, please don’t try to backport this version to older skins — use the new skins instead.".

Does that mean that there is no update path for any existing H&M projects that use skins ?

Very best regards,

Olivier
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Maintaining existing projetcs

Unread post by Tim Green »

Olivier Beltrami wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:01 am Does that mean that there is no update path for any existing H&M projects that use skins ?
No, because really you should always be using the new version of a skin when you update, just transferring your settings from the older copy. Even so, I know that some people use tools like BeyondCompare or WinMerge to merge the code from the new version with their modified old version. In this case I really don't recommend that, because there are a lot of changes to update everything for the contemporary version of jQuery.

Also, if you updated before Friday, please do download and reinstall again. I added two small but important corrections without a version change:
  • URL switches for activating keyword index and search didn't work in eWriter in the V2 skins because of a change in jQuery behavior.
  • Toolbox didn't prevent users from trying to overwrite baggage files that had been opened for editing, which could cause errors.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Olivier Beltrami

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response.
Does the "Copy Config to New PP File" also copy all the modified baggage files ?
Very best regards,

Olivier
Olivier Beltrami
Tim Green
Site Admin

Olivier Beltrami wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:46 am Does the "Copy Config to New PP File" also copy all the modified baggage files ?
Only the ones classed as "safe". You can see the ones copied/that will be copied when you select that option in the Copy Config tool. The "unsafe" ones are basically all the skin's own JS and CSS files, and also some of the graphical assets.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Olivier Beltrami

Hi Tim,

When I try to open a current skin, after upgrading to 4.2.1, i get a half-dozen messages such as:

Code: Select all

The baggage file
favicon.ico
is not registered in this project. An entry has been added to prevent the project from being invalid.
You will need to save the project to store the change.
Should I worry ?

Very best regards,

Olivier
Olivier Beltrami
Olivier Beltrami

By the way, I have tried to test the "Copy Config to New PP File" feature on a backup set and, after I select the 2 skins, not immediately, but 5-10 seconds later, the PP UI just disappears without any message or anything. Do you want me to send you the skins ?
Olivier Beltrami
Tim Green
Site Admin

Olivier Beltrami wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:12 pm Should I worry ?
No, that just means the problem has been fixed. All you need to do is save the project.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Olivier Beltrami wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:18 pm By the way, I have tried to test the "Copy Config to New PP File" feature on a backup set and, after I select the 2 skins, not immediately, but 5-10 seconds later, the PP UI just disappears without any message or anything. Do you want me to send you the skins ?
Yes, please do send them to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @), as I have no way of testing what is going wrong here without them. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Olivier Beltrami

I just sent the eWriter ones.
Olivier Beltrami
Olivier Beltrami

The emails are rejected by your server due to the attachments.
Tried stand-alone HMSKIN files and also tried ZIP.
Neither made it through.
Olivier Beltrami
Tim Green
Site Admin

Olivier Beltrami wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:41 pm The emails are rejected by your server due to the attachments.
Sorry, I just assumed you would know about this. That is normal for all email servers nowadays if you try to send anything containing scripts. It's no longer possible to send things like that per email. You need to send a download link, for example to a zip on OneDrive or Google Drive folder. Please use the "anyone can access" option for this, NOT an option with a login, because the support email account does not have any accounts like that.
Tried stand-alone HMSKIN files and also tried ZIP.
Neither made it through.
Skin files and .hmxz files are both normal zip files, just like DOCX files. All mail servers can now look inside zips and most other archive formats.
Regards,

Private support:
Olivier Beltrami

Hi Tim,

I have now resent it.
Very best regards,

Olivier
Olivier Beltrami
Tim Green
Site Admin

Thanks for the files. The problem was caused because the older skin contained two copies of the same variable. I'm going to add a check for this in the next update. 8)
Regards,

Private support: