"Top" navigation button in WebHelp template permanently greyed out

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jeffbronks

"Top" navigation button in WebHelp template permanently greyed out

Unread post by jeffbronks »

I'm compiling a project using the Flat Blue Diamond WebHelp template from Premium Pack 3. The nav bar "Prev" and "Next" buttons work fine but the "Top" button is permanently greyed out, regardless of where in the topic tree I am. I'm now compiling it with H&M 8 but I checked an old version that I compiled with H&M 7 and that had the same bug, unnoticed at the time.

I realise that PP3 is superseded now, but I'm reluctant to upgrade to PP4 because I have customised the template to our company style. I am sure that it wasn't my customisation that caused the bug, because I have gone back to the clean template and that has the same problem.

Could EC Software perhaps test that template and see if it works for you?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: "Top" navigation button in WebHelp template permanently greyed out

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jeff,

Check the following:
  • Do you have a default topic set in your project?
  • When you publish, do you have Top = Parent Chapter selected or deselected in the skin include options in the Publish screen?

If Top = Parent Chapter is off and you don't have a default topic set then the skin has no way of knowing what your top topic is. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jeffbronks

I had a default topic set but I did not have Top = Parent Chapter selected. That fixed it. Thanks! :)
jeffbronks

I spoke too soon. When I saw the 'Top' button light up I assumed that all was good, but it's still not working.

First, I discovered that there are (at least) two default topics per project:

1) Configuration > Common Properties > Title & Copyright > Default Topic
2) [topic name] > [right click] > Set as Default Topic

I didn't know which one you meant so I set them both.

Second, after I've set the above default topics, the button still doesn't take me to the top topic of the project. If I set 'Top - Parent Chapter' it takes me to the parent topic, then greys itself out and won't go any further up. I guess that's its intended behaviour. If I don't set 'Top - Parent Chapter' the Top button is permanently greyed out and does nothing. I expect it to go to the topic I set in either 1) or 2).

I know this can work because I've seen it in your own Help & Manual online documentation. If only mine could do the same!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jeff,

Those are just two ways of setting the same thing. If it's not set to parent chapter it should normally go to the default topic. I'm afraid you appear to have borked something in your copy of the skin through editing. If you mail me a download link at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) I can have a look at it and see if I can fix it for you. Don't try to send the skin as an attachment -- that won't work because mail servers tend to block anything that contains scripts now, even if they're inside archives. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.