Publishing format: docx (feature request)

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tashkerm

Publishing format: docx (feature request)

Unread post by tashkerm »

Although I'm a long-term H&M user, I also provide our users with the occasional 'how-to' document, usually .docx or .pdf. These are usually a mixture of explanatory text followed by a set of screenshots (the 'how-to' portion), with some text between the shots.

What I'm getting to is that if HX would produce a .docx format, perhaps one slide per page, I could easily copy/paste those into the text blocks in my how-to. Yes, there are workarounds involving pdf but the work-flow is a bit ugly.

Forgive me if this feature is lurking somewhere...
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Re: Publishing format: docx (feature request)

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi tashkerm,

Export it as "Static Images" instead of PDF. This will deliver the images that you actually want and you have the choice between JPEG, PNG, GIF or BMP format. The PDF output is nothing but a wrapper around PNG images of all slides. As would be a DOCX export. PDF, however, has the advantage that it beautifully pages through the slides. A DOCX export has no advantage in this regard.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
tashkerm

Re: Publishing format: docx (feature request)

Unread post by tashkerm »

Point is taken, experiment has been performed. Exporting static images as png produces one file per image, requiring file selection and viewing as part of pasting into word. Ungood. pdf is indeed better as each image can be selected in the Acrobat thumbnail view, copied, and pasted into docx. It works, it's easy, and will be sufficient. Thanks!