Customize Theme

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Customize Theme

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I think I'm missing something obvious here.

1 - Where do you change H2, H3 and Preformatted?

2- I customise my theme via Design, but if I click on another theme it randomises the other themes and deletes the customised one. :?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Customize Theme

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ga,
1 - Where do you change H2, H3 and Preformatted?
The Custom CSS tab in the Customize Theme dialog. Note that the Preformatted option has been removed, I think. I will have to look into this.
2- I customise my theme via Design, but if I click on another theme it randomises the other themes and deletes the customised one.
When you select a default theme it loads the settings of that theme into the first position at the top left (in the "This Presentation" box if you expand the themes). When you customize the theme it changes the settings for This Presentation, not the settings of the default theme that you selected. If you then select a different default theme it simply replaces the This Presentation settings with the settings of the default theme you select. I think a warning needs to be displayed when this happens, at least if you have customized This Presentation. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

OK, thanks Tim.

Presuming the idea is to fix this in future with customisable themes...
Kooswillem

Unread post by Kooswillem »

I am a bit disappointed that custom colours are/cannot be saved (or I just do not know how). We have 15 brand-defined colours, and in PowerPoint these can be stored. In HX it seems that not only are the custom colours stored separately for different objects (text, background, shapes, etcetera), but once you close the document, they are no longer available and you need to define them again if you want to choose another.

This also means I cannot have a 'template document' to store these colours in.

Is there a way to do this, or is it on the roadmap?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Willem,

Improvements here are on the roadmap. You can get around this for the time being by creating a "stylesheet" xplain and loading your settings from it. This is explained in the documentation here:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/gf_themes.html
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kooswillem

Yes, I understand the 'stylesheet copy' method from a template xplain. But when I do that, I will only get the assigned colours, I will not be able to choose from the other colours defined in the colour dialogs in the xplain document.

Or am I mistaken?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Kooswillem wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:01 pm Yes, I understand the 'stylesheet copy' method from a template xplain. But when I do that, I will only get the assigned colours, I will not be able to choose from the other colours defined in the colour dialogs in the xplain document.
Well, you get the entire defined theme, with the colors and settings that are defined there. But if you have any additional settings for individual styles those are not transferable as "styles".

However, there is a very simple solution to this: Set up an xplain with dummy templates of all the objects that you want to reuse. Open HelpXplain a second time with your dummy template xplain and when you need to use an object just copy and paste it from one instance to the other. That works fine, and all the colors, borders etc. will come across. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Kooswillem

Ok, I will do that, thanks!