Magnify Effect applying wrong

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

kevinotton

Magnify Effect applying wrong

Unread post by kevinotton »

I have added a magnify effect to a small set of boxes. It is not possible to get all the fields in as the effect move hits the frame limits. I have to choose top or bottom of the fields

I will email the file to support as it is hard to explain what is not right.

It is difficult to select / edit the magnifier box - should it be in the objects for the page?

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevinotton

Re: Magnify Effect applying wrong

Thanks for pointing out how I missed the 'move' circle in the middle of the magnifying shape.

Did you have any thoughts on the other comment about it going into the Objects panel like other shapes.

I find it difficult to select on the canvas and cut and paste to keep consistency across slides
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

kevinotton wrote:Did you have any thoughts on the other comment about it going into the Objects panel like other shapes.
Sorry, I missed that. Effect lenses can't be listed in the Objects list because they aren't objects. They're literally just virtual areas of an image to which an effect is being applied. All the "objects" are really elements that also get exported. Effect lenses aren't. You can think of them as "stored edits" rather than objects.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
kevinotton

Fair enough.

Sorry - Now seeing this with the magnifying rectangle in the top of a slide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Kevin,

I'm asking our developers to look at this but the main problem will be using the magnifier at the edge of an image. Its "source" area then extends into a space where there is no image. This literal "edge case" should be covered, of course, but my guess is that that is the issue here. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Kevin,

You need to place the magnification area inside the picture rectangle. If you want to magnify something at the edge of the image (e.g. the first data field in your form), move the handle in the middle of the magnification filter. This handle determines the center of the magnification lens. Tip: if you apply an outline to the magnification filter, it will highlight the source area and the lens area and connect both with a line.
helpxplain_magification_lens.png
All image filters apply transformations to the bits of the image. Hence, the filters are bound to the image area and cannot extend beyond it, because there is simply no picture data there. That applies to all image filters. For example, if you put a circular highlight filter somewhere at the edge of the image, the circle is cut off at the image boundaries.

Image filters do not work like objects that you place on the canvas. They are really applied to the underlying image bits. This is an advantage: if you want to blur or obfuscate something in a screenshot (e.g. data fields in a form, password entries, etc), the image filter will modify the image before the picture gets exported. It is not possible to reconstruct the obfuscated information. Dealing with the image bits, however, naturally restricts the area where the filter can be applied.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH