Inconsistent behavior

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

kevinotton

Inconsistent behavior

Unread post by kevinotton »

If you select an object with the mouse you can drag and drop or use arrow keys to move the object

If you select the object in the tree, the object highlights the same as the click but the arrow keys move you round the tree or to other pages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistent behavior

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is normal. An object in a graphic is not the same as an entry in a list or tree. It would be unexpected to be able to move the items in the list/tree directly with the arrow keys. However, if you hold down CTRL you can move items in the list.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
kevinotton

Sorry, Maybe I was not clear in my description.

I was trying to say that an object selected in the tree that is then highlighted on the canvas should be the thing that moves. I was not trying to move the tree contents.

I selected the object, it puts all the move points on the object and then the arrow keys moves the tree.

Kevin
Tim Green
Site Admin

kevinotton wrote:I was trying to say that an object selected in the tree that is then highlighted on the canvas should be the thing that moves. I was not trying to move the tree contents.

If you are in the objects list you are not on the canvas. You can't move anything on the canvas until you activate the canvas. In the list you can only manipulate the list because it is a completely separate context of its own, with its own editing and manipulation. You can select an object with the list, but if you want to manipulate something on the canvas you must change your context to the canvas.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
kevinotton

If this is the case why not just highlight the object and remove the handles that cannot be used.

I am more likely to want to pick the object to move/edit than change the tree list.
Tim Green
Site Admin

You can also select the object by clicking on it on the canvas, then you can move it directly. Please, let's not waste any more time on this. There is no way that what you are asking for here will be implemented. 8)
Regards,

Private support: