Problem capturing from non-modal window

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mark Wilsdorf

Problem capturing from non-modal window

Unread post by Mark Wilsdorf »

As a simple first project to try out HX, I'm trying to create an Xplain that shows how to get started with AnyDesk (www.anydesk.com).

Clicks in the main window work fine, but I've not been able to capture anything from the Setup window, which opens up non-modal, and is initially displayed above the main AnyDesk window in the Z-order. (Setup is invoked by clicking the Set password for unattended access link in the main window.)

I've tried:

* Repositioning the Setup window within the capture frame. My goal for the slide was to keep the main window partly showing beneath the Setup window. (see the attached image).

* Clicks and Ctrl-Clicks on controls in the Setup window.

* Doing a separate screencast of just the Setup window...but nothing gets captured, even if I ctrl-Click. It's as if HX cannot "see" the Setup window at all.

Ideas?

EDIT: This is on Windows 7. Hmmmm, a thought: the Setup window is displayed only after clicking Yes in an elevation prompt...so might this be a security issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Wilsdorf

Re: Problem capturing from non-modal window

Unread post by Mark Wilsdorf »

Well duh...answered my own question...

I went back and ran HX as Administrator & that fixed the problem of capturing the Setup window slides.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Re: Problem capturing from non-modal window

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

This is correct - not just for our screen capture. A program that runs in a normal user context cannot "see" other windows that run in an elevated-rights context. Windows prevents that, for security reasons. You can only capture these windows by visually selecting their boundaries from the screen.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH