Big projects cannot be previewed or published, they can be saved

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kooswillem

Big projects cannot be previewed or published, they can be saved

Unread post by Kooswillem »

Big projects cannot be previewed or published (or I don't know how). I am able to save them though.
HMX-ProjectTooBig.png
Left: Error when publishing | Right:Error when previewing

I'm working on a big project, now 82 slides, and I am not able to publish it nor can I preview it.
I had had the problem with another project, which I could solve (workaround) by making it smaller.

Probably this is related to it's size, it might not be able to store the project in it's memory or something like that. I have 16GB internal memory on my Dell Precision 7520 and 150 GB free on my hard disk.

So for now is my only solution to make the project smaller?

If so, is it for a future version possible to either come up with an early warning or even better chop the workload into chunks and create the publish and preview task chunk by chunk, making it still possible to publish even with big projects, you just have to wait a bit longer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Big projects cannot be previewed or published, they can be saved

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Willem,

I'm asking the HelpXplain developer to have a look at this. We'll be commenting more shortly.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Willem,

We need to have a look at the project. Please send the .xplain file to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @), or provide a download link if it's too large to mail.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kooswillem

I just sent you the email, the document is 18MB. Let me know if you need more.
Koos
Kooswillem

It seems that this is related to MS OneDrive as Tim suggested. When a file used by HelpXplain is being synchronised, one of the errors mentioned may occur. Retrying it directly, or else when switching between windows or worse case after a HelpXplain has been restarted will most of the time allow me to publish.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Willem,

Thanks for that report. There may also be an issue with using very large images and oversized canvases. It's important to remember that each Xplain is a single web page and all the contents are loaded into a single browser page. We've seen a couple of users having problems with this, for example using full-size images from DSLR cameras or full-size screenshots from 4K or 5K monitors. We're looking into the possibility of resizing images like this with good quality relative to the canvas on publishing: If an image doesn't fill the canvas it usually doesn't provide any benefits to have it be as large as or even many times larger than the canvas itself, for example.
Regards,

Private support: