How to update the "Capture" object of a screencast slide

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

chfrmeyer

How to update the "Capture" object of a screencast slide

Unread post by chfrmeyer »

Having made a screencast with several slides, each slide having a "Capture object" (capture_n.png), at some later date I want to check and update some captures. That is, replace them with corrected or updated versions of the same captures.

After studying the Xplain online help (for example, Topic "Getting started > How to make a screencast"), I still feel confused as to what would be a simple and effective procedure. I could use some help on that.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How to update the "Capture" object of a screencast slide

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Chfr,

You can insert a new slide at any time and in any position. Just click on the slide in the position where you want to add a new slide, then select the New Slide tool in the Home toolbar. You can then choose whether you want to add an empty slide, a single image loaded from a file, a slide containing a screenshot or a new series of slides from screenshots with the Screencast option.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
chfrmeyer

I don't need a new slide - only a modified Picture in an existing slide (the UI of the program I'm documenting undergoes changes, that requires updates in the "capture" pictures´of existing slides).

What I did once was to work around it by loading a Picture into a newly-created slide, then cut the Picture out and insert it into the existing target slide, then dispose of the existing picture object in that slide, then rename the new Picture object to "match" the old one.

I only wish there could be less of a work-around, it's a procedure I'll follow a number oftimes.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

chfrmeyer wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:31 pm What I did once was to work around it by loading a Picture into a newly-created slide, then cut the Picture out and insert it into the existing target slide, then dispose of the existing picture object in that slide, then rename the new Picture object to "match" the old one.
You can do it directly. Just delete the existing picture in the current slide, then select the Picture tool and use it to insert the new version, which you can do with a new screenshot or from an existing file or from the Windows Clipboard (copied from another graphics program, for example).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
chfrmeyer

Ah, the Picture tool, not the New Slide Tools.

Thanks - that does it.