Orphaned table headers

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Metamonomous

Orphaned table headers

Unread post by Metamonomous »

In several of my tables, the header row is orphaned (the header is at the end of one page, and the rest of the table is on the next page).
I've tried various combinations of header row and table row styles with "Keep lines together" but no go.
Advice?
michal_novomesky

Re: Orphaned table headers

Unread post by michal_novomesky »

A project example /source would be better for understanding where the problem lays.
Is it a PDF output?

Have you tried this?

1. Styles > Edit Styles in the Write tab.
2. Click in the Table Styles section at the top, then select the table style you use for the table in the manual.
3. Modify layout > and deselect Allow page break inside table.

More info:
https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... tyles.html
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

You don't say what output format you are using, but I'm assuming PDF. What is probably happening here is that the table is being split because it doesn't fit on the current page, but there is only enough room for a single line of it. The most likely cause for this is that your topic text placeholder in the Topics section of your PDF template is not high enough. The height of the placeholder defines the minimum height of the content that can stay on one page when breaking to the next page. This should normally be at least three lines. So make the placeholder at least three lines high, and it should also be the same height as the band that contains it, like this:
PlaceholderHeight.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Metamonomous

Danke Tim, that was something I hadn't considered, but doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Actually the screen shot only shows 3 lines, but I also tried it with 4 and that didn't do the trick either. Any other suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hmm. Your screenshot looks a little strange: Your topic text placeholder comes directly after the level 5 heading and there is no level 6 visible. That is OK if you have eliminated level 6 and set its height to 0, but I'm a little concerned that the placeholder might actually be in the level 6 band (container) instead of in its own container, which comes after level 6.

Also, the red outlines show that your placeholder extends beyond the borders of its container on all sides, so it's not quite possible to see how big it really is. You can adjust that with SHIFT + Arrow Keys and CTRL + Arrow Keys, which resize and move objects 1 pixel at a time. If you use them to adjust until the red outlines just disappear, then the placeholder is aligned precisely with the borders of the container.

If you continue to have problems I need to have a look at a demo project and the template. Please mail me a demo project that can reproduce the issue. Please also send the .mnl template, as that is important here.

​1: Select Save As.. in the File menu and save the project in the single-file HMXZ format (first option, single file storage).
2: Delete any topics not needed for the demo.
3: Go to Configuration > Common Properties > Miscellaneous. Turn off "Automatically create history files" and delete the history in the project with the "Purge xx history files" button. Then save again.
​4: Perform a test to make sure you can still reproduce the issue with the demo project.​
​5​: Send us the resulting .hmxz file and the .mnl template file, to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @), and we'll check it for you.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Metamonomous

Thanks Tim, I just emailed the project and looking forward to your diagnosis!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Turns out it was something very simple: The tables didn't actually have heading rows, just the top row formatted differently, so Help+Manual didn't know to take the heading into account when splitting the table. You need to define the number of heading rows in the table properties. Then when the table splits you will get at least one content row under the header, and the header will also be repeated on the next page. 8)
Regards,

Private support: