PDF split topic

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Aitch

PDF split topic

Unread post by Aitch » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:47 am

Hi all.

Hope someone can help with this simple solution... I can't find the setting to split topics in PDF without having to add manual page breaks. I have searched the forum and help file, but no joy.

In Print Manual Designer, the Page Options for [Topics] > This Section Only > Topic Text > Page Break option is set to None. I want them to follow on and fill as much space on the PDF as possible.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Version 8.3.1 Build 5794

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!

Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF split topic

Unread post by Tim Green » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:30 am

The Topics section of the template has separate page break options for every topic level, so you can decide which levels should have page breaks and which should follow on from the previous topic without a break. For example, you will probably want at least the top level topics to start on a new page, so you should set a page break for that.

In the Topics section, select Pages > Page Options (or double-click on an empty section of the page). You can then define the page break options separately for each level in the table at the bottom of the page.

Note 1: The page break setting for "Section starts..." at the top of the dialog is only for the beginning of the entire Topics section, i.e. for the very first topic in the project.

Note 2: When you set page breaks for odd pages you must also make sure that you turn off the option "Ignore blank pages in PDF" in your PDF project properties (Project Explorer > Configuration > Publishing Options > PDF > PDF Layout). When this option is on all blank pages will be suppressed and it often won't be possible for topics to start on odd pages.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.