Problem with fonts on the PDF cover in Chinese and Japanese

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexey

Problem with fonts on the PDF cover in Chinese and Japanese

Unread post by Alexey »

Hi
I have a problem with PDF cover in Chinese and Japanese when generating docs in PDF.

The font on the cover of a ready PDF is different from what I see in the template designer tool (see the image.png attached). This leads to improper alignment of text blocks.

For Chinese it happens on both Windows 10 and Windows 2019.
For Japanese it only happens on Windows 2019, while on Windows 10 it looks OK.

I am also attaching a sample project for Chinese so that you can build it and check (I had to rename it from zip -> png otherwise it won't attach).

Thank you
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Problem with fonts on the PDF cover in Chinese and Japanese

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alexey,

There are no attachments on your post -- please mail them with a support request to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll have a look at them. We need the .mnl template file as well.

If you are only having font problems on one page of the PDF template, my guess is that you are copying and pasting the text from a source with problematic text encoding. The easiest way to fix that would be to copy first to an editor that can convert the encoding, like the free Notepad++. Switch the encoding there to UTF8 with Encoding > Convert to UTF8, then copy to the PDF template. Beyond that, you need to make sure that your PDF font embedding settings in the project are set to either CID or Type3, and that all fonts are embedded. That is essential for non-Latin scripts like Russian and Asian languages.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.