Creating Topic links with drag and drop

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Creating Topic links with drag and drop

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I like that you can create a Topic link by dragging and dropping one Topic from the project tree into the Topic you are working in.

However, if the Topic being dropped into is scrollable (ie. longer than the screen), when you drag the Topic from the tree into the Topic you are working in, it scrolls back to the top. You then have to slowly drag it down the page until you get back to the place you were working.

Is there a fix for this?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Creating Topic links with drag and drop

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

I can't reproduce this. If I drag a topic into a position further down in a scrollable topic to make a link everything stays in the same position after dropping the link. Two questions:

1) Is there anything unusual about the location where you are dropping the link? I.e., are you dropping it into some other object or something like that rather than in regular text?

2) What is your current version and build number?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

I think I'm confusing the issue. I've done a brief recording...

Last edited by Ga Bowen on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gareth,

I didn't realize you were scrolling with the mouse pointer already holding the link you wanted to insert, i.e. with the left button depressed. Even so, and also trying to paste into a table instead of into the body of the topic, nothing scrolls back up when I release the mouse button. We're looking into it, but just out of curiosity: Why aren't you setting up the position you want to drag to before you drag the link in? :shock:
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

I do. I think. :?

I insert the cursor where I want the link, drag the Topic towards it, and then it jumps to the top:

Last edited by Ga Bowen on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ah, now I see what you mean: The topic jumps to the top before you insert the link. It happens when there's a larger TOC and you also need to scroll there. I'll get our developers onto that. It's not something I ever see because I never do it like that. I find it generally too fiddly -- when the source is too far away I use CTRL+C in the TOC and then CTRL+V in the topic to insert the link.
Regards,

Private support:
Ga Bowen

Ah, didn't realise you had the Ctrl+C/V option. I'll just do that from now on.

Thanks, Tim. :)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:28 am Ah, didn't realise you had the Ctrl+C/V option. I'll just do that from now on.
Yes, copying in the TOC is smart and context-sensitive: If you paste within the TOC you get a copy of the full topic. If you paste into a topic you get a link.
Regards,

Private support: