Erroneous"locked by another user"

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

lstinson

Erroneous"locked by another user"

Unread post by lstinson »

I was editing a topic in my .hmxp project, and noticed response becoming slower and slower -- 3-4 seconds between a keystroke or mouse click and execution of the action. I checked other open applications to see if it was a system-wide slowdown, but it was H+M only; other apps were responsive. I saved the project, and closed and restarted H+M. The topic I was editing now appears with a red banner at the top of the edit window:
Topic is read-only! File "<myFilename>" is locked by another user.

But I am the only user, and my H+M is not configured for version control. The XML source file in question displays normal metadata and permissions in File Manager. However, in the H+M Project view (under Topic Files), the file shows a Modified date of 12/30/1899.
Ideas?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Erroneous"locked by another user"

Unread post by Tim Green »

The slow editing issue is related to topics containing lists, often in combination with tables. It has already been solved and a maintenance update with the fix for that will be released as soon as we're happy with the testing. When it happens now you can work around it by switching briefly to another topic and back again.

The locked topic is strange. My guess is that there is an orphaned instance of Help+Manual in memory. If you're happy with using Task Manager (start with a right click on the Windows taskbar) just look for it there and kill it. Otherwise just restart Windows, which it is good to do every couple of days or so anyway, and that should fix it.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.