Save/Import/Export Search Path

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rob Davis

Save/Import/Export Search Path

Unread post by Rob Davis »

Hi
I know I asked a similar question a LONG time ago - and I'm optimistically hoping the answer might be closer.

It would help me a lot if I could Save/Export/Import a project's Search Path in the same way that one can handle the variables list. I can achieve the 'Export' by using Notepad++ on a 'cut and paste' from the Search Path, but cant figure a way to do the 'paste'.

Any possibility?

(adding in an edit)
I suppose I could achieve something like this by putting Search Paths in small dummy projects, and then using the 'Copy Properties from..' button??

Thanks
Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Save/Import/Export Search Path

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rob,

This isn't currently supported, among other things because if your search path is long enough for you to need to do this, it is too long. Anything more than two or three entries for image folders plus the locations of snippets is trouble, particularly if the search path folders aren't in your project folder. I've seen projects with over a hundred entries in different folders, which nobody without a super-memory will ever be able to manage.

The more folders you reference the more likely it is that you will have duplicate image file names across the individual folders, which will result in getting the wrong images on output. Also, if they are in different locations your project is not movable at all. As soon as you send it to someone or put it somewhere else, all the image references will be invalid.

The best thing you can do if you have an excessive number of image folders is consolidate them all in a maximum of five or less folders inside your project folder. Doing this is easy: Just create folders inside your project folder and move all your images there. Then delete all your old project path entries and create new ones for the new folders.

IMPORTANT: The first folder in the list will be the one Help+Manual uses for copying new images if you select one in a previously unknown location.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rob Davis

Thanks Tim.
Yes, I am guilty of the 'too many folders' crime. Very guilty . . .and I will try to do better.

But here are two questions. (I can only describe 'why' in a long rambling explanation - let's skip that!)

1. I output two 'brandings' - each has some shared graphics, but for many, many of the graphics there are two 'flavors'.
Rather than having conditional text all through the project for each graphic, I have been creating two parallel folders, each with identical file names for the individual graphics. Then, in my project, at publish time I just put the folder with the required 'flavour' at the top of the search path. (Of course there are many text references that DO use conditional text, but I find this a neat and effective way to handle over 600 graphics each with two variations.)
Is there anything 'wrong' with this method? i.e. It may not be the 'best' solution - but is there any reason why it would not work?

2. Lately I have tried making two new separate empty projects, and in each I just 'include' the original main project as the only topic. Then I use the 'copy properties from' in the Variables screen to 'bring in' the variables list, and I modify them for all the conditional text entries. This seems to give me a very quick and easy way to re-use the master project for each branding flavor that I need. Again, this may not be the 'best' way to solve the problem, but is it 'ok'?

Rob

While there may be more elegant ways to do this when starting from scratch, I have to deal with the legacy of many years and lots of content.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

By the way: You can absolutely use the Copy Properties from... tool to copy your project search path, I just tested it to double-check. You just need to make sure to confirm with the "only this page" option to make sure that you don't get any other unwanted settings along with it. I said there wasn't a method to do this because I was thinking in the context of some separate, specific method for this. Sorry, my bad.. :?
Is there anything 'wrong' with this method? i.e. It may not be the 'best' solution - but is there any reason why it would not work?
No, this is fine. We should really include an option in Help+Manual to do something like this on demand. 8)
Again, this may not be the 'best' way to solve the problem, but is it 'ok'?
Again, no problem at all. It's a good solution. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rob Davis

Hi
You said: there wasn't a method to do this because I was thinking in the context of some separate, specific method for this. Sorry, my bad.. :?

Me: Is there anything 'wrong' with this method? i.e. It may not be the 'best' solution - but is there any reason why it would not work?

You: No, this is fine. We should really include an option in Help+Manual to do something like this on demand. 8) "

Agred! - and I suggested a method, long ago, in the Wish List. How about stored Search Paths that are accessible from the Build options?

Rob
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Tim Green wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 am Good luck. :mrgreen:
Suggestion duly deleted :|
Last edited by Simon_Dismore on Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Davis

Thanks Simo.
Look brilliant - I will try to implement (but it's going to be AFTER the current deadline) - so, next release.
As a long-term solution for our multiple brandings, this is going to be a real help, I think.

Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

See also this Stack Exchange discussion of Microsoft's "implementation" of symlinks, which they divide up into junctions and symbolic links with dauntingly different behaviors:

https://superuser.com/questions/343074/ ... bolic-link

Good luck. :mrgreen:
Regards,

Private support: