Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Webhelp Feedback button fail - reprise

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

HM8
Windows 10 64 Pro
Skin: WebHelp_SlateGrey

In our online output, the "Feedback" (email) button fails for some users. The key user with a problem is our main developer and he won't tell me which mail client he is using. His statement: "It's some sort of HM macro. It should not matter what client. It should fall back to Mailto: like everyone else."

We need a feedback button that works with everything. Is that possible?

Is there, for example, JS code that is universal AND results in a secure email exchange?

We had problems along this line about a year ago. At that time, the solution was for individuals with the problem to set their browsers for mailto links. That won't work for us (and in any case, the Feedback button appears no longer to be a simple Mailto:). The old thread is here: https://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewto ... ton#p63100
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Webhelp Feedback button fail - reprise

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

The feedback button is effectively a mailto: link, nothing more than that. There is no "macro". Just some JavaScript that assembles the contents of the mailto: link and that's it. Without knowing what the mail client is I'm afraid it's not possible to provide any specific advice.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Re: Webhelp Feedback button fail - reprise

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

I had a suspicion that without knowing the client, there's no quick answer. Thanks.