Minor version control pickle

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Minor version control pickle

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

In H+M 7, a colleague insisted that I use version control (a good idea) and further, that it should take advantage of H+M 7's integration with SVN. This turned out to be a bad idea because it called for earlier versions of Tortoise and a Collabnet installation.

Anyway, when he ran into the 'wrong version of Tortoise' error in H+M, he quit trying. Unfortunately, this was after we had gone through the steps of settin up SVN in H+M via the SVN options under the File menu.

We have since decided that manual version control using up-to-date SVN and Tortoise is the right procedure.

However, we still get this in the right-hand column of H+M 8:
(folder & project name) is under SVN version control. The newer Tortoise SVN client installed on your system requires the additional installation of the Collabnet SVN command line client. This Collabnet client must have the same version number as your version of Tortoise for Help+Manual to be able to interact with the SVN system correctly.
I've searched through the H+M 8 help file, but can't find how to un-set up SVN. How do we let H+M 8 know that it can relax, we aren't going to exploit the in-built SVN capability in H+M?

In other words, we need a button that says, in effect, "Forget SVN."
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Minor version control pickle

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

You can disable SVN support in View > Program Options > Subversion. However, you really don't need to do this. It is fine for both Tortoise and the Collabnet 32-bit runtimes to be on 1.11.1 (the current version available from Collabnet), even if your SVN server is at 1.13.x (the current release). Only Tortoise and Collabnet have to match. See this updated guide that explains how to get this set up:

http://helpandmanual.com/news/2016/08/r ... toise-svn/

We are currently working on getting the original Apache SVN runtimes included in the Help+Manual distribution so that you will no longer need to do this. It is going to take a while, however, because we want to perform very extensive testing.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

I tried this - the SVN options are greyed out. When I click on them in File > Version Control, up pops an error message:

Somewhere internally there is a Version Control switch that got thrown... any way to un-throw it?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

First make sure that you have installed both Tortoise 1.11.1 and the Collabnet 1.11.1 32-bit runtime components on your computer. Then restart Windows and Help+Manual. If it still hasn't found the client go to View > Program Options > Subversion and use the option for linking to the Collabnet SVN client file manually.

It is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\CollabNet\Subversion Client

and the file you need to select is:

libsvn_client-1.dll
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

I want to turn it off, not implement it. We ran into technical and philosophical problems about moving backward in Tortoise and in overlaying Collabnet and don't want to do it. We are handling version control manually, outside of H+M.

My minor crusade here is to get rid of the Error Message that continually pops up in the Messages column in H+M UI. We keep having to close that column to gain screen real estate.

In other words, we made the mistake of turning on integrated version control and now need a dialog or slot or input whereby we can turn it off...
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Dave Gehman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:03 pm I want to turn it off, not implement it
...unless you're using Github
Dave Gehman

Aagh - I may never get the exact meaning right.

We're maintaining version control manual via SVN and the latest Tortoise. We are not turning that off.

We wish only to placate H+M 8 so that it no longer feels the necessity of reminding us that we have the wrong Tortoise.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Dave Gehman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:36 pmWe're maintaining version control manually
its-complicated.jpg
OK, I'll stop now :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

I want to turn it off, not implement it.
View > Program Options > Subversion. Then uncheck the box for Subversion support. Finished. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

See post above. No checkbox. No access. Baffling error message.
Dave Gehman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:22 pm I tried this - the SVN options are greyed out. When I click on them in File > Version Control, up pops an error message:

Somewhere internally there is a Version Control switch that got thrown... any way to un-throw it?
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Dave,

Try deleting the path, leave it empty:

hm8_svn.png

Ticking or unticking the tickboxes seems to have no effect.

Also the message is a bit odd. I'm not in the habit of changing anything anywhere unless I need to.

cheers,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Gehman

Since there was no path in that text input box, I tried de-selecting "Enable Subversion support."

That did the trick. No more message pane and all my H+M real estate is back.

Thanks again, Martin. Most appreciated!